Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I disable multiple desktops in Sierra?

Hi!

Multiple desktops are getting in the way of my multitasking, and I am hoping that there is a way to disable them. I am not that comfortable coding, so I am really hoping for a settings option that I haven't been able to find.

Thanks!

MacBook Air, macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Oct 16, 2017 2:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 16, 2017 4:34 AM

I have done this, but when I open programs like Safari and Word, they will often open in a new desktop. A desktop will also be created if I want maximize the window. This is an issue for me when I want to fill my screen, but use information from more than one program. Also, widows in other desktops are not available for split screen (click and hold on the maximize button). I know that I can navigate to the other desktop, minimize, then multi-task, but this is a cumbersome workaround.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 16, 2017 4:34 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

I have done this, but when I open programs like Safari and Word, they will often open in a new desktop. A desktop will also be created if I want maximize the window. This is an issue for me when I want to fill my screen, but use information from more than one program. Also, widows in other desktops are not available for split screen (click and hold on the maximize button). I know that I can navigate to the other desktop, minimize, then multi-task, but this is a cumbersome workaround.

Oct 17, 2017 10:04 AM in response to OverHeadNotDuck

As per this article macOS Sierra: Work in multiple spaces

Delete a space

1. Enter Mission Control, then move the pointer to the top edge of the screen to show the Spaces bar.
  2. Place the pointer over the space you want to delete, then click the Delete button User uploaded file that appears.If the space contains open windows, they are moved to another space.

You can quickly stop using an app in full screen or Split View by moving the pointer over the thumbnail in the Space bar, then clicking the Exit button User uploaded file that appears.

Oct 16, 2017 6:46 AM in response to OverHeadNotDuck

When you put an application in fullscreen mode, it gains its own desktop. That is how it works.

Command-tab is your friend. Fullscreen or not, if you want to drag from an application to another, just start to drag, don't let go of the trackpad or mouse button, press command-tab to switch, then drop in to the other application.

Works beautifully.

Oct 17, 2017 4:06 AM in response to OverHeadNotDuck

Not sure what you want to work differently.

Command-tab switches between applications, whereas command-` switches between windows of the same application. It has always been like that; the only thing that complicates matters in recent versions is fullscreen, especially if you have different windows of the same application, where some are fullscreen and some not.

With fullscreen, as with multiple desktops, you can use control-right arrow and control-left arrow to switch.

Of course every user has personal preferences on how to work.

I prefer not to use fullscreen applications, and have only one desktop.

As I am writing this, the frontmost Safari window takes up most of the screen (but NOT fullscreen, still have the menu bar).

I can easily switch to Mail, or whatever application I need (usually running about ten of them).

Command-tab is my friend ;-)

Oct 18, 2017 1:04 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

What is the keyboard shortcut for navigating between spaces/desktops in this situation: I have 3 word windows open, one of them is maximized into its own space/desktop. command-tab brings me to one the word windows that is in the same desktop, command-' navigates between the two smaller word windows.

I use the swipe function when I'm away from my desk, but at my workspace I have an external keyboard/mouse/monitor.

Thanks for your help so far; I´m adjusting to working in an Apple environment.

Oct 18, 2017 5:35 AM in response to OverHeadNotDuck

OverHeadNotDuck wrote:

What is the keyboard shortcut for navigating between spaces/desktops in this situation: I have 3 word windows open, one of them is maximized into its own space/desktop. command-tab brings me to one the word windows that is in the same desktop, command-' navigates between the two smaller word windows.

Control-left arrow and control-right arrow allow you to switch desktops to the left and right; and control-1, control-2 etc let you switch to a specific desktop.

Oct 18, 2017 5:37 AM in response to OverHeadNotDuck

OverHeadNotDuck wrote:

I´m also having trouble using fullscreen function with multiple screens. When I fullscreen a window or video, my second screen goes black. Any tips?

Yours is a different situation.

I assume you only see the menu bar on the main display.

You can change both these things by going to System Preferences->Mission Control.

CHECK the box that says "Displays have separate Spaces".

Then log out and log back in.

How can I disable multiple desktops in Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.