Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirDrop not working on my iPhone 8

AirDrop- My iPhone cannot see others and vice versa.

I have tried several times.

Any tips on how to solve the problem?

Posted on Oct 16, 2017 6:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2017 12:51 PM

Thanks. I was really hoping this might solve my problem. I followed the steps you did - logging out of my iCloud account, resetting my iPhone by tapping vol up and vol down followed by holding the power button till the apple logo showed.

My mac has 'everyone' as the setting for Airdrop, but my phone didn't show up. I logged back in to my iCloud account on the phone. It showed up as a device on airdrop on my mac and I successfully sent a file. But then it disappeared again and I can't get the computer to see the phone. It's very annoying and has completely dampened my enjoyment of the iPhone 8. On my previous phone, the 6s - I used Airdrop several times a day to transfer files back and forth between my phone and my Macbook at home and iMac at work.

For the 2 months I've owned the iPhone 8, I've had to copy files to dropbox and download them to the phone from there. I'm really falling out of love with iPhones.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2017 12:51 PM in response to QueenMac

Thanks. I was really hoping this might solve my problem. I followed the steps you did - logging out of my iCloud account, resetting my iPhone by tapping vol up and vol down followed by holding the power button till the apple logo showed.

My mac has 'everyone' as the setting for Airdrop, but my phone didn't show up. I logged back in to my iCloud account on the phone. It showed up as a device on airdrop on my mac and I successfully sent a file. But then it disappeared again and I can't get the computer to see the phone. It's very annoying and has completely dampened my enjoyment of the iPhone 8. On my previous phone, the 6s - I used Airdrop several times a day to transfer files back and forth between my phone and my Macbook at home and iMac at work.

For the 2 months I've owned the iPhone 8, I've had to copy files to dropbox and download them to the phone from there. I'm really falling out of love with iPhones.

Nov 24, 2017 4:06 AM in response to x64uk

I have had this problem since i got my iPhone 8. Yes - Airdrop is enabled, and set to 'Everyone'. It's also enabled on my Mac, set to 'Everyone' and both the iPhone and Mac are connected to the same wiFi network. I cannot get Airdrop to work on the iPhone 8 (iOS 11.1.2) - it won't connect to my iMac in work or my Macbook at home and it won't connect to the iPads and iPhones we have at home either. My wife's iPhone 6s has no problem connecting to these devices by Airdrop.

Dec 2, 2017 11:43 AM in response to bp1969

After spending over oone hour with Apple Support finally got my no Air Drop reolved. First we made sure Air Drop was set to everyone. Nothing then he had me sign out in Settings - is signed out of my apple account. I did opt to save everthing to the cloud. then I pressed the up volume one then the volume down button ( quickly) then held power button til the phone shut down then the apple symbol came up. When my phone cam back on both my computer and iPad were set to accept Air Drop from Everyone so I immediately tried to Air Drop and Boom it worked . Then I signed back into my apple ID and the Air Drop fearute was still working. Hope this helps.

Oct 16, 2017 11:31 AM in response to bp1969

Is AirDrop actually enabled? bit of an obvious thing to ask I know, but in IOS11 the AirDrop button in Control Centre is not immediately visible.

To find it, Access "Control Centre" (the new 'long swipe up' gesture) then 'force touch' through the top left group of four buttons. The panel will expand and the AirDrop control will be visible there.

Dec 26, 2017 9:36 PM in response to QueenMac

Thank you! it worked for me.

I had the exact same issue. Airdrop has not been working since day 1 of using iPhone X.

Strangely, bluetooth, wifi are working without issues, and even the new feature allowing wi-fi password sharing is working. Airdrop on all of my other Apple devices are working perfectly with each other.

I have updated my iOS to the latest 11.2.1, tried both the hard reset and reset network settings and Airdrop on iPhone X is still not working.

However, I logged out of my iCloud, then hard reset, and logged back in and Airdrop now works. I hope it stays this way.

AirDrop not working on my iPhone 8

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.