Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In High Sierra touchpad stops working in every login but guest?

The touchpad stops responding in every login but guest the moment I login. Please fix this. Its much harder to use the Mac without its touchpad especially with a naughty toddler around who keeps kicking the BT mouse all the time

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 16, 2017 9:28 AM

3 replies

Oct 17, 2017 4:25 PM in response to veeraragavan

Hey veeraragavan,

I can see that the trackpad on your MacBook Pro doesn't work as expected ever since you updated to High Sierra. I can certainly understand how hard it must be to use when it stops working after logging in but you've come to the right place for help and I'd be glad to offer some information to get this working again. What we can try here first is to reset the SMC.

Resetting your Mac's System Management Controller (SMC) is sometimes necessary to restore normal lower level system functionality, particularly for power and hardware related issues like connectivity including USB ports, Bluetooth, Volume control, the Keyboard, etc.

This link here can show you how:
How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac

If you still have issues after following these steps, you'll want to look into having your Mac examined in person at an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area. The following link can help you locate some that are close to you.
Hope this helps.
Cheers

Oct 23, 2017 10:39 AM in response to veeraragavan

veeraragavan,

Thanks for clarifying that. If it works normally when using a guest account, this sounds like a potential issue with your specific user account. Reseting the NVRAM is certainly a good next step as the NVRAM which refers to a small amount of special, battery-packed memory in every Mac that stores information the computer needs before it loads the operating system, may need to be reset. If you haven't done so already, you can follow the steps below.
How to reset NVRAM on your Mac

As this is likely not a hardware issue, you'll also want to try to boot into safe mode as well as this verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed among other things.
Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

If the issue persist, please have your Mac examined in person at an Apple Retail Store or Apple Authorized Service Provider in your area. The following link can help you locate some that are close to you.
Find Locations

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Regards.

In High Sierra touchpad stops working in every login but guest?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.