Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos app keeps rescanning, deletes names

After updating to iOS11 on my iPhone, Photos started scanning the faces in my existing photo albums. I plugged the iPhone in for a few nights and locked it so that eventually all 4000+ photos had been scanned. Then I set about naming the faces it had found, assigning new Key Photos to them, etc. All was fine until the first time I recharged my iPhone afterwards... the next morning, all my people names had disappeared and all the Key Photos had changed back to default ones chosen by the Photos app. I tried once again, naming various people and reassigning Key Photos; again, the first time I plugged my iPhone in after that to recharge while it was locked, all the face names and key photo choices reverted to default. Happens every time. Note: I prefer not to turn on iCloud Photo Library and, consequently, all of my photos are stored locally on my iPhone.

iPhone 6s, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Oct 16, 2017 9:53 AM

6 replies

Oct 17, 2017 10:45 AM in response to buddyjack2

I have this issue too and I can assure you that it’s got nothing to do with the album “People from my Mac”, which I’ve had on my iPhone and iPad on iOS 10 with no issues to facial recognition whatsoever. The trouble started early in the iOS 11 beta stadium, around beta 3 or 4, and has not been resolved, although I have reported this bug twice in the public beta program. It keeps rescanning and deleting names, faces and people altogether once it is plugged in for long enough. It doesn’t matter if it is charged via Mac or wall. See also this thread, where we have discussed this bug before.

Oct 16, 2017 10:50 AM in response to léonie

No, I'm just plugging it into a wall outlet. BTW the same is happening on my iPad (also iOS 11.0.3). Since I don't use iCloud Photo Library, both devices (as well as my Mac running High Sierra 10.13) have independent People albums which do not synchronize either with each other or with the one on my Mac. I can live with that, but I just wish the scanning wouldn't keep restarting each time I charge either device.

Oct 16, 2017 11:02 AM in response to léonie

Yes, it did happen after last week's update (to 11.0.3). But since then I've repeated the renaming/re-keyphoto-ing process a couple of times (including just since I first posted this discussion less than an hour ago), and each time I plug my iPhone in and it auto-locks (after 5 minutes), the People album resets again.

My own thought is that there's a separate album called People from My Mac, containing virtually the same photos but which was done in the Photos application on the Mac, under earlier Mac OS versions, using Faces. I've used iTunes in the past to transfer this album (and others) to my iPhone, long before iOS 11 came along. I'm wondering if that Mac People album is confusing the iOS People album. Unfortunately, there would be no way to delete the Mac People album now, unless I re-synced with iTunes and unchecked "Sync Photos" altogether.

Oct 17, 2017 11:03 AM in response to mkwestphalia

Wow... thanks so much! The only thing worse than wrestling with issues like this is the dread that no one else is experiencing them, LOL. I haven't been able to determine *how* long is "long enough" for a recharge to perform its reset/rescan of the People album. Ten minutes sometimes does it, and sometimes not. The other thing I've noticed is the same 15 people automatically popping up in the iOS People album, but never any more (unless I manually add them)... even though the "People from my Mac" album lists over 100 that I've identified as Faces in the past. Obviously, the older album is not "talking to" the newer one at all.

Photos app keeps rescanning, deletes names

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.