Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

portrait photos dont show in imovie

Photos that I have taken on my iPhone 7 Plus in portrait mode do not show in iMovie. I see the thumbnail but when I hit play to preview the movie, it doesn’t work. The screen is black when it gets to any portrait photo. Do I have to edit all of the photos or is there a way in iMovie to make them a standard photo? I greatly appreciate the help!!!

I’m using the newest updated iMovie on a MacBook Pro and an iPhone 7 Plus in portrait mode. Thanks!

Posted on Oct 16, 2017 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2017 3:19 PM

It might be a preferences corruption. Try restarting your computer and opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and then selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. See if that cures it.

If not, you can try creating a new project and see if the photos work there.

And/or, you can try opening iMovie in a different user account, such as the Guest account on your Mac.

I take it that you are using iMovie 10.1.7. That version requires Sierra 10.12.2 or later. And High Sierra requires iMovie 10.1.7.

If none of the above works, you might need to edit the individual photos by lowering their resolution so that the long number is less than 4000. So, for example, if the resolution is 4200 x 3200, use the the Preview app on your Mac to lower the 4200 number to less than 4000. In Preview, select Tools/Adjust Size.

-- Rich

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2017 3:19 PM in response to Flashguy13

It might be a preferences corruption. Try restarting your computer and opening iMovie while holding down the Option and Command keys, and then selecting to delete preferences in the box that appears. See if that cures it.

If not, you can try creating a new project and see if the photos work there.

And/or, you can try opening iMovie in a different user account, such as the Guest account on your Mac.

I take it that you are using iMovie 10.1.7. That version requires Sierra 10.12.2 or later. And High Sierra requires iMovie 10.1.7.

If none of the above works, you might need to edit the individual photos by lowering their resolution so that the long number is less than 4000. So, for example, if the resolution is 4200 x 3200, use the the Preview app on your Mac to lower the 4200 number to less than 4000. In Preview, select Tools/Adjust Size.

-- Rich

portrait photos dont show in imovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.