Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Slow internet after High Sierra update

My 2015 MacBook Air is having internet issues after the High Sierra update.

Ping tests on my Android phone and on my iPad are fine. No timeouts or maybe 1/100.

However, on my Air, at least 10 timeouts per 100 and my last average was 3490 ms.

Any suggestions? I was blaming my ISP at first, but I think it's the High Sierra Update now.

Posted on Oct 17, 2017 8:50 AM

17 replies

Oct 20, 2017 9:54 AM in response to jrheisler

Hi jrheisler,

I understand that since upgrading your MacBook Air to macOS High Sierra, you've had some issues with your Wi-Fi timing out. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

Use the steps in the following article to help isolate issues with your Wi-Fi connection:

Check for Wi-Fi issues using your Mac - Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Dec 17, 2017 5:58 PM in response to jrheisler

Totally agree with lame recommendation. My iphone and Mac laptop both work fine sitting right next to my Mac Mini that now does not work since High Sierra update. I ran the recommended Wifi analysis on my Mac and it came up with totally lame recommendations, like move the computer closer to the router, etc. Well, my iphone and mac laptop work just fine 3 inches from my desktop.

Dec 19, 2017 4:09 AM in response to jrheisler

Same problem with my Macbook Air Mid 2012. In the last three days I did everything I found written here with no luck, including fresh copy of High Sierra. Today I thought to reset the router, Aiport Extreme. First exported a baseconfig file from Aiport Utility (File > Export Configuration File) and after that HARD RESET (disconnect the router and while holding a paper clip in the reset button power on and hold the clip/reset pushed for 6 seconds until the led flash amber rapidly). After that open the Airport Utility, select the base station/router, click Edit, Choose File > Import Configuration File, locate the previously exported file, click open and update the settings on base station.

After that everything returned to normal, my 300 Mbps connection is back!

Almost forgot to tell, before the hard reset, 4 Ipad's, 3 Iphone's and an Imac (Sierra) in my house worked at normal wireless speed the only one with problems was the Macbook Air with High Sierra (although it was connected all the time at the 5Ghz channel).

Dec 26, 2017 9:25 AM in response to waeldesign

My problem has nothing to do with third party apps because I was in the same situation even after a clean install of High Sierra. Base Station HARD reset solved the problem for me, one week since then and not a single speed drop.

Since then I updated my Imac (mid 2011) to High Sierra, perfectly stable on wireless, below a speedtest:

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6911916548

Slow internet after High Sierra update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.