Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to set up Mac Mini for 3 Monitors

Hello everyone,

my Monitor Setup is as follows

Acer S242HL - 1920x1080, 32bit, 60Hz (via HDMI)

Sony TV - 1920x1080, 32bit, 60Hz (via Thunderbolt2)

HannsG Touch HT231 - 1920x1080, 32bit, 60Hz (via Thunderbolt2)

I actually used this setup successfully on my MacMini already but suddenly it is not working anymore, not sure when exactly it happened but I did several Software Updates in between.

I am now on macOS Sierra 10.12.6 and my Mac Mini is a build after 2014 with an Intel Iris 1536

I read in one of the threads and in the Mac Mini specs that it supports 2 Displays but you can use 3 if the Display at the HDMI port isn't a 4K Display => So my Displays are not even close to 4K

Anyone has an idea why it is now failing to detect the 3rd screen? I tested all of the screens in a 2 monitor and single monitor setup and they are working fine, I even tested switching their attachment to different ports. The system just takes the first 2 monitors it can find and the 3rd is ignored.

I even used Alt (Option) to force a monitor Check in the monitor settings, nothing.

Mac mini (Late 2014), macOS Sierra (10.12.6), Intel Iris 1536

Posted on Oct 17, 2017 10:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2017 9:53 AM

Hi Drato,

I understand that you have been having some issues with your 3rd display not being recognized by your Mac mini. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

Be sure to go through the steps provided for this issue in the following article:

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac - Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2017 9:53 AM in response to Drato

Hi Drato,

I understand that you have been having some issues with your 3rd display not being recognized by your Mac mini. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

Be sure to go through the steps provided for this issue in the following article:

Get help with video issues on external displays connected to your Mac - Apple Support

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

Oct 20, 2017 11:02 AM in response to MoonJ.

Hi MoonJ.

thanks for taking your time to help. I tried all steps in that guide already and checked it again, this doesn’t make any difference.

Do you have any other ideas I could try?

I might be wrong but it seems, as if the problem occurred after updating to the new OS version.

Cheers, Drato

Oct 21, 2017 1:23 PM in response to MoonJ.

Hi MoonJ.

I checked the specs first when researching that subject, but I also found several posts where People stated they had managed to adjust 3 monitors with their Mac mini and one of those statements was even approved by an Apple technician. I guess it wasn’t an official approval, but as I myself had 3 monitors working already I believe this is possible though not officially supported. That’s why I hoped someone in the forums might have an idea, except for the standard ways of solving this.

Cheers Drato

How to set up Mac Mini for 3 Monitors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.