Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

WatchOS 4 update taking 3 days?

I've just updated my iPhone 6s and am trying to now update my series 2 watch.

First it said it would take 3 hours to download, then changed to 7 hours and now says 3 days!!! I've checked online and it says the download and install should take 1.5 to 2.5 hours to complete.

What should I do?! I've tried restarting my phone but nothing changes.

Thanks in advance

Windows 8

Posted on Oct 17, 2017 2:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2017 12:07 PM

Hi ras12o,

I understand that you are trying to update your Apple Watch, but your iPhone is showing increasingly longer estimatedtimesto complete this process. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

You've done well to restart your iPhone already to troubleshoot this issue. I recommend following all of the steps outlined in the following article for this issue:

Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you need help updating

Try these steps:

1. Make sure that your Apple Watch connects to its charger.
  2. Restart your Apple Watch. Press and hold the side button until you see Power Off, then drag the slider. To turn your watch on again, press and hold the side button.
  3. Restart your paired iPhone. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears, then drag the slider. To turn your iPhone on again, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button.
  4. Try to start the update again.

If the update won't start, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, tap General > Usage > Software Update, then delete the update file. After you delete the file, try to download and installwatchOSagain.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2017 12:07 PM in response to ras12o

Hi ras12o,

I understand that you are trying to update your Apple Watch, but your iPhone is showing increasingly longer estimatedtimesto complete this process. I'm happy to provide some help for this issue.

You've done well to restart your iPhone already to troubleshoot this issue. I recommend following all of the steps outlined in the following article for this issue:

Update your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If you need help updating

Try these steps:

1. Make sure that your Apple Watch connects to its charger.
  2. Restart your Apple Watch. Press and hold the side button until you see Power Off, then drag the slider. To turn your watch on again, press and hold the side button.
  3. Restart your paired iPhone. Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button until the red slider appears, then drag the slider. To turn your iPhone on again, press and hold the Sleep/Wake button.
  4. Try to start the update again.

If the update won't start, open the Apple Watch app on your iPhone, tap General > Usage > Software Update, then delete the update file. After you delete the file, try to download and installwatchOSagain.

Thanks for using the Apple Support Communities. Cheers!

WatchOS 4 update taking 3 days?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.