Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

GPS Totally Stuffed since iOS 11

Hi All,

Since iOS 11 no apps using locations services such as Apple Maps, Google Maps, Transit etc.. no longer update locations once underground on the subway.

I.e. previously when travelling on the subway the app would update at each subway stop when the phone received cell service again and the map would update the location instantly, this now no longer happens. As soon as you go underground the phone loses GPS signal and reconnects again or alternativly lists the last area where GPS was available and does not update rendering all location services on the iPhone totally useless.

Steps to Reproduce:

Open any location-based App like Apple Maps, Google Maps, Waze, Transit etc. Go on the NYC Subway or travel and briefly go on flight mode - move to a new location, disable flight mode and the map will not update.

Expected Results:

As an example -> in iOS 10.3.3 you would be able to enter a destination on the iPhone in any mapping app, such as Brooklyn. You would then hop on the subway and as you were travelling the iPhone would instantly update the map as soon as you arrived at every stop along the way, showing your exact location. This would allow you to know when to leave the train.

Actual Results:

As an example from this morning. I entered the subway at 72nd Street in New York. I travelled all the way to Brooklyn (15 stops). Upon arriving in Brooklyn, the GPS still showed my location as 72nd Street and had not updated once.

The only way to get the GPS to update the location is to turn the phone off and back on. Going on Flight Mode does not work, switching off and on location services does not work.

This has been tested on iOS 11.0, 11.01, 11.02 on an iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7 and iPhone 6s - all show the same results. Each one has been factory reset with no restore of data.

In both images attached, I was actually on the Upper West Side at my destination in 72nd Street, the GPS had not updated the entire way.

Version/Build:

iOS 11.0, 11.01, 11.02

Configuration:

iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7 and iPhone 6s

Anyone else have this? How can we bring this to Apple's attention, this is horrendous! The phone has become totally useless.

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Oct 18, 2017 1:27 PM

15 replies

Nov 20, 2017 9:03 AM in response to remigirr

So here is the issue in images, which is still very much present.

When I first got on the Subway, the GPS had absolutly no idea where I was - In fact it thought I was in San Francisco.

User uploaded file

Then after about 2 minutes it updated and still had absolutely no idea where I was... in fact I was no where. (In actual fact I was at 42st. Times Sq.

User uploaded file

Then 5 minutes later it decided I was somewhere in the upper west side, near home. I had left home approximately 25 minutes earlier. In actual fact, I was now at 14th street in the lower side of Manhattan.

User uploaded file

Then all of a sudden, after leaving the subway and going to street level, I had time travelled from the Upper West Side 72nd street to 14th Street all within the same minute.

User uploaded file

Apple, this is an absolute joke. How is this still a problem over a month after the release of iOS 11. FIX IT!

Again, this does not only happen to me but our entire office, around 11000 devices are experiencing this issue - iPhone 6 -> 7 Plus.

Oct 31, 2017 10:51 AM in response to remigirr

I'm having the same GPS issues. I've noticed the issue when I have been getting on the subway also. My GPS location would get stuck roughly where I got on in Brooklyn and would not update throughout my journey even when cell phone signal was recovered multiple times en route to Manhattan.

In addition been having some GPS issues on my Apple Watch now that I have updated to WatchOS4. The signal often takes 0.5 miles to connect via the Strava app whereas there were no such issues before the update. Not sure if this is a Strava issue or a WatchOS4 issue though.

Dec 20, 2017 6:56 AM in response to remigirr

I’ve had very similar problems with my 7 and the bride’s 7 plus since 11 came out. Accurate GPS is the subway is a pretty new thing, since not every station was set up with a signal, but it’s odd that it was working well and then stopped.

When 11 first came out the overall GPS functionality seemed worse even *above* ground, but subsequent updates addressed that for our 2 devices.

I’ve been in touch with the folks who make the Transit app and it doesn’t seem to be a global issue, I.e. they’ve not received too many complaints.

GPS Totally Stuffed since iOS 11

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.