Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do you disable Gifs

There are innapporiate Gifs that my kids can be exposed to. Why would Apple allow this option?? How do you disable Gifs so they can’t be seen?

Posted on Oct 18, 2017 4:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 8, 2017 7:47 PM

I had the exact same problem and thought. It all came about a couple of updates ago and kids could simply go into their message app and select a GIF or a sticker and they could search just about any word and pull up a GIF. Yes some of them are terrible. Here's the fix:

First, make sure you have restrictions turned on and they need to ask for permission before downloading any apps.

Second, follow this link

http://help.apple.com/iphone/10/#/iphf9c9c01d3

Delete the GIF app from the "managed" section and your child won't be able to access those pictures any more. Hope this helps.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 8, 2017 7:47 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

I had the exact same problem and thought. It all came about a couple of updates ago and kids could simply go into their message app and select a GIF or a sticker and they could search just about any word and pull up a GIF. Yes some of them are terrible. Here's the fix:

First, make sure you have restrictions turned on and they need to ask for permission before downloading any apps.

Second, follow this link

http://help.apple.com/iphone/10/#/iphf9c9c01d3

Delete the GIF app from the "managed" section and your child won't be able to access those pictures any more. Hope this helps.

Oct 18, 2017 6:41 PM in response to Kg1973

Apple doesn't 'allow' GIFs.

A GIF is a kind of file that exists in almost every web page on the planet. An animated GIF is one where a number of pictures are pieced together, and that is probably what your talking about.

You can disable GIFs by making sure every page you view is set to text only. Kinda defeats a lot of reason for the internet.

I'd recommend you simply ban your kids from viewing the internet and any e-mails that might have animated GIFs, and they should be okay.

Oct 18, 2017 7:07 PM in response to Kg1973

There are literally millions and millions and millions of messages sent and received every day. It is not possible to scan every message for an image, and then determine if that image is explicit and then delete or reroute the message to a trash file. That kind of technology that could handle that kind of volume of work accurately doesn't exist, and even if it did, there are constitutional issues with trying to impede free speech.

Rather than throttle messages for most of the people on the planet, it would make more sense to just prohibit your kids from having access to the possibility of seeing them.

Or, you could take a different view and realize then you'd just be postponing the inevitable. At some point in life, they will see the images.

Oct 19, 2017 5:00 AM in response to Kg1973

How do you disable Gifs

I’m not asking Apple to scan and review the messages. All I want is a way to disable the GIF function in the messages in the IPhone. I realize my kids can take, send & receive whatever pictures they want...and I don’t expect Apple to filter them. I’m starting to think you don’t understand the question I have asked

It sounds to me like you want to "disable" GIFs. Again, GIF is not a function that can be disabled.

That's sort of like disabling apples or oranges. You can make it a point not to eat them or smell them. You can even avoid the groves where they grow. But you cannot keep them from growing and being, unless you want to take down the internet.

How do you disable Gifs

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.