You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Calendar notifications while on Airplane Mode but connected to Wifi

I mostly keep my phone on airplane mode with Wifi separately switched on and use it via my home wifi but when I do that my Calendar notifications do not work. Interestingly everything else does! I have all the calendar settings turned on and I tried everything but I would not get a notification unless i turn my cellular service back on. It makes no sense. Anyone has any advice how to go around it?

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Oct 19, 2017 11:24 AM

6 replies

Oct 19, 2017 12:05 PM in response to abt11

AFAIK, any calendar events stored on iCloud or another remote location, need internet connection to be verified before sending a notification. Only events stored in an On My Phone calendar will activate without a connection.

[If anyone else can confirm or debunk, I would be interesting in knowing, so please chime in.]

Oct 19, 2017 12:12 PM in response to Rysz

Can't confirm your belief but the OP's situation does include an Internet connection - WiFi. For some unknown reason, he prefers keeping cellular service off.

To abt11... I agree that it should work with cell service off but why do you do that? You're not saving any power and, with a WiFi signal available, no data will transfer over cellular. Unless you live in an airplane, there is absolutely no benefit to going through those extra steps.

Oct 19, 2017 1:10 PM in response to Philly_Phan

Hi Philly thanks for the reply and also asking why i am doing this... I am pregnant ;-) and there are numerous studies showing that it is not healthy for a growing little baby to be bombarded with cellular exposure. I am also trying to have the source of the wifi on the other end of the room/ house.

I keep checking and I cannot understand why calendar notifications are not popping up since every single calendar entry that i enter via the laptop immediately syncs with my phone, the alert time shows up correctly too.. Such a bummer that I can't figure it out. Usually I can. This is my very first time i am asking community help ;-) I am grateful for the replies guys and trying to help me!

Oct 19, 2017 1:28 PM in response to abt11

abt11 wrote:

Hi Philly thanks for the reply and also asking why i am doing this... I am pregnant ;-) and there are numerous studies showing that it is not healthy for a growing little baby to be bombarded with cellular exposure.

There is a lot that I'd like to say but, considering your reason for concern, I'm going to keep my mouth taped shut. However, I do strongly suggest that you discuss this worry with your doctor and follow his/her advice.

Calendar notifications while on Airplane Mode but connected to Wifi

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.