Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bootcamp issues, then Windows crashing.

Hello,

About a year ago I decided to install W10 on my mid-2012 spec'd MBP for application support, etc. Recently I decided to do erase the partition and do a clean install. After backing up my files, and running through the regular Bootcamp prompts with an Intense USB3.0 drive, the computer restarted and gave me a "No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key" error. I restarted with boot manager and made sure the drive was being detected as bootable, which it was, and then tried again. Same thing. Attempting to run it via EFI brings up the setup screen, but then didn't let me select the partition because the drive is formatted as MBR. I did a little research and discovered a tool called GPT fdisk, which I promptly used (after disabling SIP) to restore to the pre-bootcamp pure GPT drive instead of a hybrid-MBR one. This allowed me to finish the installation and restart, which is where I hit my second issue. The computer would BSOD during setup with an error: "System thread exception not handled: igdkmd64.sys." I booted back into mac, re-partitioned the hard drive and removed the igdkmd64.sys files (apparently an IntelHD graphics driver), and booted into windows flawlessly... For about 30 seconds because thats how long it took for Windows to crash and reboot. It did this over and over again, and I came to the conclusion that it must be the missing display driver and that unless I somehow got it to work it would continue crashing. This is where I currently am. I read on the forums that you'd need to install windows via Legacy BIOS, but that doesn't seem to be an option for me hence the error (really not sure what the problem is, since I had it work perfectly on another 3.0 drive about a year ago, and haven't updated macOS since then).

TL;DR: Windows crashes after installing via EFI boot and having to remove the igdkmd64.sys driver which was causing a BSOD during setup (installing via BIOS brings up a "No bootable device" error).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, John.

MacBook Pro, OS X El Capitan (10.11.2)

Posted on Oct 19, 2017 2:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2017 7:20 PM

In BCA, the first two steps - Create and Download - create the USB installer. If you only have USB3.0 drives, you will need to add USB3 drivers to install.wim/boot.wim as documented in http://codeabitwiser.com/2014/03/how-to-install-windows-7-with-only-usb-3-0-port s/ (the site can be down at times).

If you remove the MBR using GPT FDisk, the EFI install will have lots of issues.

I suggest using the above method, but use the Windows icon (not the EFI Boot). You can remove the current BC/Windows partition using Remove Windows from your Mac - Apple Support .

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2017 7:20 PM in response to John4157

In BCA, the first two steps - Create and Download - create the USB installer. If you only have USB3.0 drives, you will need to add USB3 drivers to install.wim/boot.wim as documented in http://codeabitwiser.com/2014/03/how-to-install-windows-7-with-only-usb-3-0-port s/ (the site can be down at times).

If you remove the MBR using GPT FDisk, the EFI install will have lots of issues.

I suggest using the above method, but use the Windows icon (not the EFI Boot). You can remove the current BC/Windows partition using Remove Windows from your Mac - Apple Support .

Oct 19, 2017 2:47 PM in response to John4157

A mid-2012 is a preUEFI Mac. You will see many more issues with W10 in EFI. I suggest you remove Windows and use the default legacy BIOS installation. Can you confirm the macOS version of your Mac? Also, I suggest find a USB2.0 Flash drive of 8+GB. USB3 drivers are not supplied with W10. Which specific release of W10 are you installing - Anniversary, Creators or Fall Creators?

Oct 19, 2017 2:59 PM in response to Loner T

Yes -- I read about that. Thats why I need a workaround for the error. As of now I don't even have a clue whats causing it, since I installed W10 (with the exact same iso file) a year ago on a 3.0 drive. Currently I am running OS X El Capitan 10.11.4.

I'm attempting to install W10 1511 release, or "November Update?" As I said its the same ISO file I used a year ago -- I figured I could install updates later on, and I knew it worked. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_10_version_history#Version_1511_.28Novembe r_Update.29

Oct 20, 2017 3:43 AM in response to John4157

The USB method works on a 2012 MBP, provided you have a USB2 flash drive, due to lack of native USB3 drivers. I have tested, the Optical drive, a USB2 and USB3 (with added drivers) on a 13-in 2012 MBP with built-in Optical drive.

I suggest using a reputably-branded USB2 flash drive. I personally use a 16Gb USB2 SanDisk Cruzer.

Bootcamp issues, then Windows crashing.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.