Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

A dormant watch kills the battery.

Just wondering if any one else had experienced this problem. I purchased Two identical watches for gifts 2015 and 2016 which were left dormant for 3-6 months. When I tried to charge again the battery was dead. Unable to charge. Is it a coincidence? Highly doubt it. Apple refuses to repair the issue asking for $290 to repair a problem. I’m certain they are aware of this flaw. A $500 garbage watch headed for its true home THE BIN.

Posted on Oct 19, 2017 4:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 20, 2017 11:17 AM

So I wonder if the community knows that if you leave your watch uncharged for a certain period the battery will go dead (unchargable). Deemed unusable.

Apple will charge you a fee of $270 to fix this problem if the watch has exceeded its warranty period. Apple does not inform customers during purchase nor does it state this fact in the contents of the purchase.

My question to Apple - why isn’t the lithium battery failure information passed onto consumers?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 20, 2017 11:17 AM in response to ZintainUSA

So I wonder if the community knows that if you leave your watch uncharged for a certain period the battery will go dead (unchargable). Deemed unusable.

Apple will charge you a fee of $270 to fix this problem if the watch has exceeded its warranty period. Apple does not inform customers during purchase nor does it state this fact in the contents of the purchase.

My question to Apple - why isn’t the lithium battery failure information passed onto consumers?

Oct 19, 2017 4:31 PM in response to Sunstruck

Hi

Apple advises that, when storing Apple Watch long term, you should store it with a 50% charge and then recharge it to 50% every six months.

See under the heading "Store it half-charged when you store it long term":

Batteries - Maximizing Performance - Apple

If the battery on your Apple Watch falls into a deep discharge state, then it can become incapable of holding a charge.

Oct 20, 2017 11:21 AM in response to Sunstruck

The information is referenced via the link in the Apple Watch User Guide, as detailed in my previous reply.

If you have a question to which you would prefer to receive a reply from Apple, then ask Apple. As previously advised, this is a user-based technical support community. Options for contacting Apple include:

Oct 20, 2017 12:14 AM in response to Sunstruck

It’s a thing with all lithium ion batteries. If you let them discharge too far and let th go dormant for too long, they will no longer accept a charge. Since you have a device that is totally dependent on the battery to work, it’s not going to accept the charge, therefore it is not going to work without replacing the battery. Batteries don’t last forever, and up to this point, I have not seen a battery that has not lost charge over time. Its not a flaw of the watch, it’s just how it is

Oct 20, 2017 11:25 AM in response to Sunstruck

Sunstruck wrote:

Why is Apple responsible to explain this information to customers? This isn’t an Apple thing, this is a characteristic of the battery itself. Everything that uses a lithium ion battery suffers from this same thing. I have had many lithium batteries go too low and not take a charge anymore. There is a reason your phone or other Apple device turn off before the battery is completely dead and give you the battery charge screen. This is not Apple’s responsibility to pass this along, nor is it Apple’s fault that the battery went bad because it wasn’t properly maintained. Apple is pretty good at taking care of battery issues that result in faulty batteries, but one going bad because it was not maintained properly does not get covered under warranty as it is not a defect in the product.

A dormant watch kills the battery.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.