Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do i add a gif to iMovie

How do I add a GIF file to iMovie tramline?

MacBook Pro, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Oct 19, 2017 4:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 19, 2017 6:16 PM

Hi,

I take it that this is an animated GIF that you have unsuccessfully tried to drag into iMovie or import using the import button. You want to try those methods first.

If the above doesn't work, you can use the Quicktime Player app on your Mac to convert the GIF into a .mov file that will import into iMovie. You do this by making a screen recording of the GIF. Of course, please observe the copyright laws and don't use someone else's GIF without their permission. That would be illegal. So, I am assuming that you have the ownership rights to the GIF. If you don't own the GIF, do not do the following procedure.

The procedure would be to put the GIF on your desktop and start it playing. Then, open Quicktime Player and in the Quicktime menu, do a File/New Screen Recording. A little box will pop up with a red dot in it. Click on the little v next to the dot and select None in the little drop down menu. Then Click on the red dot. Instructions will pop up giving you the option to drag-select the portion of the screen that you want to record, excluding the rest. After you drag-select the GIF, a box will pop up that says "Start Recording". Click on that, and the GIF will be recorded. When you want to stop, click on the little stop icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen (the one that is a circle with a black square in it). A .mov file will pop up. Save that to your desktop. You now have converted the GIF to a .mov file that you can drag into iMovie.

-- Rich

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 19, 2017 6:16 PM in response to RM9

Hi,

I take it that this is an animated GIF that you have unsuccessfully tried to drag into iMovie or import using the import button. You want to try those methods first.

If the above doesn't work, you can use the Quicktime Player app on your Mac to convert the GIF into a .mov file that will import into iMovie. You do this by making a screen recording of the GIF. Of course, please observe the copyright laws and don't use someone else's GIF without their permission. That would be illegal. So, I am assuming that you have the ownership rights to the GIF. If you don't own the GIF, do not do the following procedure.

The procedure would be to put the GIF on your desktop and start it playing. Then, open Quicktime Player and in the Quicktime menu, do a File/New Screen Recording. A little box will pop up with a red dot in it. Click on the little v next to the dot and select None in the little drop down menu. Then Click on the red dot. Instructions will pop up giving you the option to drag-select the portion of the screen that you want to record, excluding the rest. After you drag-select the GIF, a box will pop up that says "Start Recording". Click on that, and the GIF will be recorded. When you want to stop, click on the little stop icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen (the one that is a circle with a black square in it). A .mov file will pop up. Save that to your desktop. You now have converted the GIF to a .mov file that you can drag into iMovie.

-- Rich

-- Rich

Dec 14, 2017 5:00 PM in response to TheTerrapins

An animated GIF is not supported by iMovie, so you need to convert it. See my earlier posts for instructions on how to do it. There may be other apps that can convert a GIF to a .mov or Mp4 file, but I just don't know of any offhand. If you just want a still pic of an animated GIF you can take a screen shot of it and that will give you a .png file that will work in iMovie.

-- Rich

how do i add a gif to iMovie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.