Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Wireless Keyboard - Fn key not recognized in Windows 10 (Bootcamp)

The fn-key on the Apple Wireless Keyboard is simply not recognized in Windows 10, though other keys works.

Windows 10 is installed with BootCamp on a MacBook Pro (early 2015), with dual boot.

The wireless keyboard works perfectly in MacOS Sierra, no issues with fn-key there. The built-in keyboard on the MacBook and it's fn-button works fine in both Mac OS Sierra and Windows 10.

Reinstalling "AppleKeyboardInstaller64.exe" in Windows does not help.

Disable/enable the HID Keyboard Device in Device Manager, does not help eiter, nor updating driver.

Using tools such as SharpKeys (in Windows) doesn't even detect the fn-button, which leads me into thinking this is a low level driver issue.

Any ideas?

Posted on Oct 20, 2017 3:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2017 1:11 AM

Ok, checked the input language, I have ENG (Swedish Apple Keyboard), and SWE (Swedish keyboard), no difference regardless of what I choose - That is to say, the on-screen keyboard doesn't light up for the wireless keyboard and not for built-in keyboard on the macbook, but the built-in keyboard works without problems, even with fn key.

I did however, just now, add a third keyboard: Settings>Region&Language>Languages: Press English, choose options, "Add a keyboard", chose: "ENG, US (Swedish Keyboard)". But I didn't select it as input lang/keyboard in the taskbar - Still have the ENG (Swedish Apple Keyboard) as input language. And now the Apple Wireless keybord seems to be fully functional in Windows 10. The fn key, the F-keys and the apple special keys (volume, brightness...) works.

Thanks for your guidance and help.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2017 1:11 AM in response to Loner T

Ok, checked the input language, I have ENG (Swedish Apple Keyboard), and SWE (Swedish keyboard), no difference regardless of what I choose - That is to say, the on-screen keyboard doesn't light up for the wireless keyboard and not for built-in keyboard on the macbook, but the built-in keyboard works without problems, even with fn key.

I did however, just now, add a third keyboard: Settings>Region&Language>Languages: Press English, choose options, "Add a keyboard", chose: "ENG, US (Swedish Keyboard)". But I didn't select it as input lang/keyboard in the taskbar - Still have the ENG (Swedish Apple Keyboard) as input language. And now the Apple Wireless keybord seems to be fully functional in Windows 10. The fn key, the F-keys and the apple special keys (volume, brightness...) works.

Thanks for your guidance and help.

Apple Wireless Keyboard - Fn key not recognized in Windows 10 (Bootcamp)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.