Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updating to High Sierra is causing hard drive to fill up.

Firstly, I have been researching this all day, so I'm jumping in here without having problem solved this to death. I started uploading a few images and videos into Photos my hard drive started filling up much faster than made any sense. I started deleting files, big files, and big apps (like Adobe). It seemed the more I deleted the smaller my available disk space became.

I've tried turning off Time Machine and its auto feature. I've ran terminal and tried to turn off snapshots. I've tried running OmniDiskSweeper. Nothing is working. And then I noticed the math on all of this doesn't add up. Take a look at the below image. That just doesn't make sense.

HELP!

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch, Late 2013), OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Oct 20, 2017 6:17 PM

5 replies

Nov 19, 2017 5:48 PM in response to ShawnSpitler

I can not comprehend that nobody else is having this problem. I got some feedback in macrumors forum but no solution. I am NOT using Time Machine, it is not activated, there is no directory of snapshots. Last night the drive completely filled up. I deleted approx 4GB of video files so I could download and do another install of High Sierra as someone suggested. When I deleted 4GB of data I had about 40GB of free space, It is all in the System directory. I do have Server 5.4 installed. I have just quit that but I am not sure that shuts down services completely.

I have not called Apple Support yet but I am going to have to. I can not keep deleting files and apps. (I had Xcode but was not running it and deleted that for my first cut to free disk space)

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Dec 5, 2017 6:42 PM in response to webbix

Same thing here. When I go to About this Mac, Storage, Manage, I can see the disk filling up. About every 5 seconds, I lose another 0.01 GB, and I see that the System tab is similarly increasing. I watched it for about a minute to make sure no other sections were changing.

My iMac is currently powered off until I can find a fix. I expect I have about 10 minutes to download and install something before I’m completely wedged.

I had Malwarebytes for Mac running and it reported no problems.

Dec 25, 2017 6:40 PM in response to dcltdw

I was hopeful seen no your comment on this. I am not currently filling my drive as before. The malwarebytes found a few adware issues that I was sure had nothing to do with the problem. I did reinstall High Sierra. That didn’t fix at the time. After I was more stable I tried starting my Apple Server again but it seemed to cause the drive to again fill up. Using the terminal I was able to check the system directories and it was in the server directory where the increase was.

I’m not running server currently and no drive filling is occurring. However, my swap files do still seem out of control. I usually have 20+ at peak usage with about 9GB of disk space. Rebooting of course resets that but I shouldn’t have to reboot. If no system updates are required I should be able to go months without a reboot. I’ve had servers go almost a year without reboot.

I will check the log directory you note. When I get time I may contact support again. The next option that was mentioned was to boot my MacBook Air into recovery mode then do the High Sierra Update. First time in decades I’ve had a serious issue with updates.

Jan 31, 2018 3:27 PM in response to webbix

I had this exact same problem with a BRAND NEW mac book pro 13 inch... I eventually just left it at the Mac store. They gave me a brand new one to replace the one I just bought. It had the same issue... So two brand new laptops that, for some reason, continue to have their storage filled up (under systems) for no reason...

If you solved this please let me know.

Updating to High Sierra is causing hard drive to fill up.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.