Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I make a video background transparent in iMovie?

I recorded gameplay using the built-in screen recorder feature introduced in IOS11. I am now editing it to make a gameplay video. However, there is excess black background, and made a custom background to cover it. I want to get my gameplay video playing infront of the custom background, but I don't know how. I tried using the "picture-in-picture" method, but all it does is cover the whole screen. How do I remove the black background or make my background of my gameplay transparent? Here are some screen shots.User uploaded fileUser uploaded fileUser uploaded file

MacBook Air, iMovie

Posted on Oct 20, 2017 8:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2017 11:56 AM

Hi,

iMovie by itself does not have the capability to remove a black background from a video or to make it transparent. However, what you want to do might be possible if the two game components depicted in your screen shot on black background remain in a fixed position when the video is played. If so, you can use the screen recording feature of the Quicktime Player app on your Mac to crop out each component into two separate movies without background, and then use the Picture in Picture feature of iMovie to overlay them separately onto your custom background.

If that sounds like something that would work for you, post back and I will give you detailed instructions if you need them. You may already know how to use the screen recording function of Quicktime. I will be away from my computer for a few hours, but I'll get back to you if you post back.

-- Rich

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2017 11:56 AM in response to Infamau5

Hi,

iMovie by itself does not have the capability to remove a black background from a video or to make it transparent. However, what you want to do might be possible if the two game components depicted in your screen shot on black background remain in a fixed position when the video is played. If so, you can use the screen recording feature of the Quicktime Player app on your Mac to crop out each component into two separate movies without background, and then use the Picture in Picture feature of iMovie to overlay them separately onto your custom background.

If that sounds like something that would work for you, post back and I will give you detailed instructions if you need them. You may already know how to use the screen recording function of Quicktime. I will be away from my computer for a few hours, but I'll get back to you if you post back.

-- Rich

Oct 24, 2017 12:07 PM in response to Rich839

Hello, yes does that seem like a logical way of doing it. How would I crop the video? Could you show me where to go and how to go about it step by step?

Sorry for the inconvenience. It's just that other editing softwares allow you to overlay multiple tracks/components onto one project. However, when I tried publishing or sharing them it included watermarks, so iMovie is my only option of editing. So yeah could you teach me how to crop the video on QuickTime player?

Oct 27, 2017 12:58 PM in response to Infamau5

Hi,

I hope these instructions will be clear. It is more complicated to write it than it is to do it.

Start by making two duplicates of your video, and work with the duplicates.

The procedure then would be to put Duplicate 1 on your desktop. Open it but don’t play it. Then, open Quicktime Player and in the Quicktime menu, do a File/New Screen Recording. A little box will pop up with a red dot in it. Click on the little v next to the dot and select Internal Microphone (if your video has sound) in the little drop down menu. Then Click on the red dot. Instructions will pop up giving you the option to drag-select the portion of the screen that you want to record, excluding the rest. Drag- select over the Duplicate 1 clip to outline one of the two game components. After you drag-select the portion of the clip, a box will pop up that says "Start Recording". Click on that, and immediately start playing the Duplicate 1 clip. Quicktime will record the selected portion of the clip as it plays. When the recording is finished, click on the little stop icon in the menu bar at the top of your screen (the one that is a circle with a black square in it). A .mov file will pop up. Save that to your desktop. You now have converted the Duplicate 1 clip to a .mov file that contains only the selected component of the video game, without background. You can drag the .mov into iMovie.

Follow the same procedure for Duplicate 2, only this time drag-selecting the other component of the game.

Now you have two .mov files, each containing one component of the video game without background. Drag one into an iMovie project that contains the custom background that you have made. Use the Picture in Picture feature to overlay that component onto your custom background, adjusting the size and position as desired. Share it out as a File to your desktop. Then re-import the shared file into another newly created iMovie project. Drag the second game component clip into the new project. As before, use the Picture in Picture feature to overlay it on the previously shared out clip. Then you can share out that project as a file to your desktop and you will have your video game components playing on your custom background.

-- Rich

How do I make a video background transparent in iMovie?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.