Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the Apple TV 4K IR sensor?

Although I have received a photo from Apple Support with the location of the IR sensor on the Apple TV 4K, I cannot get my IR remote to work although the same remote worked just fine with my previous two Apple TVs.

Has anyone gotten their IR remotes to work with the Apple TV 4K? If so, can you specify exactly where the IR sensor location is?

Many thanks.

Apple TV 4K, URC IR Remote

Posted on Oct 20, 2017 8:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2017 5:09 PM

Hi. I found this X-ray in a teardown of Apple TV 4K. It says that the 4 dots in a line in the lower left are the IR sensor.

User uploaded file

10 replies

Oct 21, 2017 3:20 AM in response to Kurvenal

Yes the old remote works just fine with the 4k Apple TV, I suspect the sensor is at the front, it would be kinda silly if it were anywhere else.

There is a procedure to stop older remotes working with the last 2 editions of the Apple TV, but I'm not sure how you would reverse it, here is that procedure, in case it helps...

1. Take the unpaired silver remote (if the remote is not unpaired, press menu and rewind for 6 seconds while pointing at the paired device to unpair).
  2. Make sure the silver remote can't control the other device (turn it round, cover it up or turn it off).
  3. Hold it close to the Apple TV 4 and press the menu and rewind buttons for at least 6 seconds (you won't see anything happen while you do this)
  4. Then, hold menu and select (centre button) until the light on the Apple TV 4 flashes.

Oct 22, 2017 9:15 PM in response to Winston Churchill

I can see that my original question was not clear.

I am using a third party (URC) IR remote, not an Apple remote, to control all of the components in my media room.

I am trying to get this third party remote to work with my new Apple TV 4K, but I cannot seem to locate the IR sensor for doing this. Either that or the IR sensor is faulty.

Many thanks.

Dec 21, 2017 6:23 AM in response to BhightowerSF

If you don’t want a IR emitter you can use a IP driver to control it. I used the ip driver for the fourth gen for the 4K and it works great. And you don’t have to worry the emitter falling off. With universal remote you don’t have that option. That’s why I’m still searching for the IR location for a emitter on the project I’m working on now

Where is the Apple TV 4K IR sensor?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.