Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is my humming noise anything to worry about?

I've had my new 24" iMac for a couple of weeks.

I've been very happy with it. But lately I've been noticing it's making a bit of a humming noise. It's not that loud (it's a lot quieter than my old Windows PC) but I'm sure that when I first got it, it was near enough completely silent. Mind you I could be mistaken.

I've only mentioned it as I've also noticed a few other posts regarding noise.

Do I have anything to worry about, or are iMacs supposed to make a slight hum?

I normally unplug the power when the machine is off, I'm not sure if that is helping or not.

iMac 24" Intel, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Jan 12, 2007 11:27 AM

9 replies

Jan 12, 2007 12:32 PM in response to Rob S UK

First of all there is not reason to ever unplug the machine when it is off unless there is danger of lightning.

It's hard to answer this type of question as no one here can hear your Mac! 🙂

If it is loud and annoying you I would certainly have it looked at but if it is just a very low noise and everything is running well, I would ignore it. Are you sure it is not the hard drive? Is it possible that it is some sort of noise being transferred to your desk through the foot?

Jan 14, 2007 3:04 AM in response to Al Van Malsen

Thanks for the reply, Al.

The reason I unplug the machine is because with the power plugged in, it makes a very slight crackling noise now and again, which I can sometimes hear when watching the telly.

I take your point about not being able my Mac as well!

It's not loud, it's more the pitch of the noise that makes it a little annoying, and the fact that I'm sure it didn't used to make it. It's the not the hard drive, I can hear that noise as well. I think it's just a normal noise I need to get used to. I think as the machine is right in front of you, any noise is going to sound slightly louder.

Jan 15, 2007 4:22 AM in response to Rob S UK

Hey there.

I bought an Imac 24" one week ago and I noticed the same problem as you are describing. When I assembled the imac and plugged in the power plug I noticed this noise as soon as the imac had power. I can't hear this when it's turned on. But when it's turned off or sleep-mode the noise appears. very weird.

The noise stops as soon as I cut the power to it. The noise is not high, only if you put you ear near to the imac. And if there is total silence in the room where the imac is placed.

Jan 19, 2007 11:27 AM in response to Rob S UK

I had noticed a humming noise associated with my display. Then I discovered it only happened when I dim the display using the the OS X display brightness control. If I leave it at full brightness, it doesn't hum at all. But this is an obvious problem for anyone using a 24" iMac, as it is bright enough to use as a search light.

I am now using the "Brightness Control" program from http://www.splasm.com to dim the display because I found the OS X brightness control doesn't go nearly dim enough for me. When I dim the display using Brightness Control, it never hums, no matter how low I go (as long as I keep he OS X brightness level at maximum).

It seems really strange to me that the OS X control causes hum when set to anything other than maximum (and won't go very dim anyway), yet will never hum when I use Brightness Control, which will go much lower. I don't understand what they do differently.

24" iMac Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Feb 26, 2007 6:46 PM in response to dbhiebert

YOU ARE A GENIUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have no idea what I've been going through in trying to solve this issue with my 24" iMac. At full brightness, no humming noise. As I bring the brightness down..BAM, this loud humming noise like a generator starts to appear. It gets louder as I take the brightness lower and lower. I took it an Apple Authorized repair facility. They replaced the whole LCD and Inverter. I bring the machine home, and the loud humming noise is still there. So I bring it to the Apple Store. But the ambient noise in their store is so loud that they can't hear the problem. They decide to order all these parts. I think they believe it could be the powersupply, although they can't even hear the sound I'm talking about. Now I'm suppose to bring in my machine when they call, so they can replace these parts they think might be causing the problem.

Now I read you post in this forum. I download and install BRIGHTNESS CONTROL by Splasm. And...BAM, it works. No humming noise when using this little free application. Thank you very much for posting your solution in this forum!! Very, very smart!

24" iMac/2.33GHz Core 2 Duo/2GB RAM/500GB HD/256MB VRAM Mac OS X (10.4.8) 17" Macbook Pro/2.33GHz Core 2 Duo -- iPod 80GB/Black

Feb 27, 2007 3:20 AM in response to Rob S UK

It's not loud, it's more the pitch of the noise that makes it a little annoying, and the
fact that I'm sure it didn't used to make it.

I have the same problem with a new 17" imac. When I first got it, I didn't notice any fan noise. Then I did the EFI firmware update, along with some other updates, and afterwards I started noticing the hum. The pitch drives me crazy. I tried the forum recommended SMC reset(power off, unplug all cables and powercord, let sit for at least 15 seconds, plug in cables and powercord and turn back on) several times with no success. I left everything unplugged overnight.

It seems my humming noise is the screen, as soon as the power save for the screen kicks in,
and the screen turns off, the noise disappears.
Is this a normal thing, or is just me?

The exact same thing happens with my imac. As soon as the screen dims, the fan noise stops, but as soon as I touch a key on the keyboard, which powers up the screen, the fan noise starts immediately. I downloaded the iStat nano widget to monitor the fan speed, but my 3 fans always seem to run at the same speed:

fan 2 1000 rpm
fan 1 1200 rpm
fan 0 1000 rpm

Did you get any custom options for your imac? I ordered mine with 2gb of RAM. There are some posts that seem to think Apple technicians occasionally fail to reconnect something after adding more RAM, and as a result the fans always run at full speed.

Is my humming noise anything to worry about?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.