Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Emergency SOS is going off on its own - how to stop

Emergency SOS is going off on its own. This is a real problem.

I have an Apple Watch (4) and an iPhone IOS 11.0.3. Yesterday the Emergency SOS went off on its own. The watch and phone were unattended and stationary in my purse. 911 was called, as well as everyone in my Health app contact list but 1 person in the list. It was very embarrassing. (But why was 1 person left out?) Autocall was off on the phone, but on in the watch.

I then deleted all contacts in the Health app but 2. I turned Auto call off on the watch. 2 hours later only one of the contacts got another SOS from me. (I don't think 911 was called). I then got a notification on my watch.

I then deleted the contact that was called.

This morning at 5 am, the contact that I deleted yesterday was sent another SOS. The watch and phone were unattended on my desk. I got a notification on my watch but the time stamp was last night.

How do I get this to stop? I have turned off my watch and now don't trust it. My watch and phone are up-to-date(maybe that's the problem- may be there's a new bug.)

This is unacceptable.

Apple Watch, watchOS 4, iPhone 11.0.3

Posted on Oct 21, 2017 9:30 AM

2 replies

Oct 21, 2017 9:38 AM in response to kcd2014

Your iPhone sends them your current location, and, for a period of time after you enter SOS mode, it sends updates to your emergency contacts when your location changes.

Use Emergency SOS on your iPhone - Apple Support

Use Emergency SOS on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

My guess is, while in your purse, the side button on one of the devices was getting pressed such that Emergency SOS activated. Any subsequent actions relating to Emergency SOS were likely just the aforementioned updates being sent to your contacts, and should stop on their own.

Oct 21, 2017 10:26 AM in response to kcd2014

kcd2014 wrote:

.. How do I get this to stop?

Hi

Apple advises:

"If your location changes, your contacts will get an update, and you'll get a notification about 10 minutes later. To stop the updates, select Stop Sharing in the notification. If you keep sharing, you'll get a reminder to stop every 4 hours for 24 hours."

Be sure to check for the notification - along with the Stop Sharing button - in Notification Centre on your Apple Watch:

See and respond to notifications

More information:

Use Emergency SOS on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Emergency SOS is going off on its own - how to stop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.