You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay on High Sierra

I have recently purchased as new MacBook Pro (MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 ports)) and updated the OS to High Sierra.

Since the update the Airplay icon is no longer available in the menu bar, to allow me to stream/display to my Apple TV. I have checked all settings which could affect airplay like "Show mirroring options in menu bar when available" from within the display and also firewall settings as also read about.

The Apple TV is a 2nd generation and is up to date in terms of software. Airplay to the same Apple TV is fine with my Iphone/Ipad but cannot get it to work with the new MacBook. (it also works fine with my 2014 iMac)

I also have Sky Q, which supports Airplay, so at the very least I would expect the option to stream music through the Sky Q boxes.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13), null

Posted on Oct 21, 2017 10:04 AM

4 replies

Oct 22, 2017 1:44 PM in response to Leeroy99

Hello Leeroy99,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. Congratulations on your new MacBook Pro! It's my understanding that after updating to macOS High Sierra, AirPlay isn't available in the menu bar. I'm happy to help.

First, follow the steps in Get help section of the link below:
Use AirPlay to display video from your Mac on an HDTV

If the issue persists, test in another user account. This will help determine if the issue is user specific or system wide.
How to test an issue in another user account on your Mac

Please let us know the results. Include any additional troubleshooting steps you may have tried.

Have a great day!

Oct 29, 2017 3:52 AM in response to jdo_apple

Well something strange happened today!

Today was the first time I have actually been able to transfer all of my files from my Windows PC and original iMac.

I then connected my Iphone, synced with iTunes and guess what? The Airplay icon suddenly appeared and now I can stream to my Apple TV and also my SkyQ boxes.

I don't know how or why this is related. I can promise you I have made no further changes to settings etc. I actually planned to contact Apple later today as per you reply because I had given up on fixing this myself.

But at least its fixed now. I have also gave the machine a restart just to make sure it stays and it did.

🙂

Airplay on High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.