Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Damaged sim card reader

Hi, I had problem with my Sim card reader on my iPhone 6S Plus, and before taking to official iPhone store for diagnosis, i have been advised to backup my phone on iTunes and reset my phone, so i did and sent to official apple store for checking, noting that my phone was still under warranty, however after 2 days i received a call from apple store saying that my sim card reader is damaged and it must go for exchange however the warranty will not cover since they believe that the damage was done by user, and exchange cost is Euro 400.-, i refused the repair and asked them to send me back, however now i want to use my phone as a device without Sim Card, however my phone cannot be activated since the phone is not reading the Sim Card, please advise if there is any way to activate back to use it as music device or use all sort of applications as i was using it without Sim before taking the phone to apple repair store and before being advised to reset my phone.

I hope you can give me a good advice

Thanks

Sevak D.

iPhone 6s Plus, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Oct 22, 2017 2:07 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 22, 2017 6:21 AM

Driver8666, i know that the phone will work as tablet without sim card, and if you read well my post, i was using it very normally with damaged Sim Card Reader, however when i took the phone to apple authorized store to diagnose the problem, they factory reset the phone, and then they advised me that the phone need to go exchange program, and at this point, since the phone was factory reset to enable to reactivate the phone, iPhone needs to any sim card in sim card slot, although my phone was bought in cash and it is unlocked, however i am unable to reactivate to at least use it as i was using prior taking it to apple authorized repair store. if you have ways to activate it at this stage please advise

Thanks

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 22, 2017 6:21 AM in response to Driver8666

Driver8666, i know that the phone will work as tablet without sim card, and if you read well my post, i was using it very normally with damaged Sim Card Reader, however when i took the phone to apple authorized store to diagnose the problem, they factory reset the phone, and then they advised me that the phone need to go exchange program, and at this point, since the phone was factory reset to enable to reactivate the phone, iPhone needs to any sim card in sim card slot, although my phone was bought in cash and it is unlocked, however i am unable to reactivate to at least use it as i was using prior taking it to apple authorized repair store. if you have ways to activate it at this stage please advise

Thanks

Oct 22, 2017 4:29 AM in response to Briansyddall

Don't tell him that. By the way you are wrong. I just popped out the SIM card on my phone, and all it says is "No SIM" on the top left hand corner. Plus he'll get the "No SIM Card Inserted" warning every time the OP starts his phone. I just did it just to see what would happen. Put the SIM Card back in, back in business. And no, you DO NOT need the SIM to set up the iPhone. As long as you have WiFi, you're fine.

To the OP: You do not need to reset your phone. If you have WiFi, just run it as a tablet. But my question is, how can it be damaged? SIM Card reader damage? That baffles me. How can that be damaged?

Oct 22, 2017 6:37 AM in response to Driver8666

well they asked me to back up and reset so that i don't later blame them that they stole any information from my phone, so i backed up and reset and sent to them, for the sim card reader, it is confirmed that it is damaged, so any sim will not be able to read by my phone. really bad situation, but it is really strange that apple will not have any way to activate the phone without sim, where the phone is 100% belongs to me and i even have the invoice that was fully paid. shame if i will not be able to use again my phone because of stupid factory reset

Oct 22, 2017 10:56 PM in response to SevakDLim

That's what I found dumb. I had a problem with NFC in my phone once and they asked me to do the factory reset and I told them I'd do it only if it's last hope (as in I've exhausted all other options). Normally that's the first thing I've noticed people suggest. I would not suggest doing that unless it's absolutely necessary. NFC works fine in my phone now and this is without the reset. However since I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, I can just go down to the Apple Store. I still find it funny they asked you to backup and reset, as that specific test can be done without it using diagnostic tools. They tested the NFC on my phone without having me reset my phone to do so.

Further strange is the phone having a SIM Card to activate it. You can set up an iPhone to be a glorified version of an iPod, and then transition it into a phone later. Whoever told you this obviously doesn't know what they are doing. I've set up 2 old Android phones as mini tablets, one of which I was using before I bought an iPhone.

Only if you with a provider will the phone be set up as such. So what @bryansyddall said has a partial truth to it.

However, to set it up as a glorified version of an iPod, you will need a computer. And a WiFi connection.

If you set your phone up this way, with or without the SIM card, the only number you will be able to dial is emergency services (that's mandated by law in the US and Canada).

You can still use your phone, it'll be restored from the last backup made to it.

But I think the ultimate question is, how did it become damaged? They should've replaced it, if there is no damage to your phone at all. If that happened to me, I'd be able to get the phone replaced in Canada. That would be covered under the warranty if they find no damage to the phone itself. And I use an Otterbox Defender case. When I went through the NFC issues, Apple asked me what kind of case I use, and I told them that. They know that the phone will not have any damage at all. And yes, as I mentioned earlier NFC does work on my phone.

Another question: Did they tell you that a pin was damaged or they didn't mention it? Researching this, if a pin is damaged, it won't work. But I am guessing that you treated your phone like a baby. Very carefully. If they didn't do this, I'd take it back and tell them to look harder.

Damaged sim card reader

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.