Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Read/Write NTFS free for Macosx High Sierra

Hi, exsist Read/Write NTFS free for Macosx High Sierra? i find only pay solutions, Paragon NTFS for Mac and Tuxera. If there is no free solution which of the two is better and more update?

User uploaded file

thanks for reply! 🙂

Posted on Oct 22, 2017 4:06 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 9, 2017 9:01 AM

There is a free solution but it is still on testing, nevertheless, works for me. Just go to your terminal and create the following file:

sudo nano /etc/fstab

In there paste the next line:

LABEL=MyNtfsDeviceLabel none ntfs rw,auto,nobrowse

Just replace "MyNtfsDeviceLabel" by your device label.

Save and its done.

This solution only works for this one device, if you have other one, you must need to add a new line for every new device. If the device does not appear in the "finder" left menu, in your terminal write: open /Volumes, and your device will appear in there.

12 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 9, 2017 9:01 AM in response to energy78

There is a free solution but it is still on testing, nevertheless, works for me. Just go to your terminal and create the following file:

sudo nano /etc/fstab

In there paste the next line:

LABEL=MyNtfsDeviceLabel none ntfs rw,auto,nobrowse

Just replace "MyNtfsDeviceLabel" by your device label.

Save and its done.

This solution only works for this one device, if you have other one, you must need to add a new line for every new device. If the device does not appear in the "finder" left menu, in your terminal write: open /Volumes, and your device will appear in there.

Dec 19, 2017 8:42 AM in response to energy78

I would very strongly suggest you not use cojimenez's suggestion. Or, the utility linked to by kangwankraikal. The utility simply performs the same Terminal command as shown by cojimenez.

This is an undocumented command in Terminal. It's undocumented for a reason. It is known to occasionally destroy NTFS drives. Mounty's own page tells you that, and even suggests using Paragon's or Tuxera's utilities. From their site:

Suddenly all my files disappeared - please help!

This is usually happen when not all files are written properly due to an unmount operation not finishing. The NTFS partition might be marked as "dirty" and the Apple NTFS driver cannot recover from that situation. Mounty will not delete anything by itself, please try to restore your files on a Windows PC using usual recovery s/w, i.e. chkdsk command line utility or professional tools like GetDataBack for Windows. If you do not own any Windows you can use tools for macOS that can deal with NTFS partition maintenance, like Paragon Harddisk Manager or Tuxera Disk Manager.

If you must use NTFS, spend the lousy $20 and get an NTFS driver that is proven to work.

Dec 19, 2017 8:59 AM in response to Kurt Lang

Kurt Lang wrote:

If I needed it, I would choose Paragon simply because it costs less. Both are known to work well, so why purchase the more expensive option?

Well I've never even looked at Tuxera, never read anything about Tuxera, have no idea if it is more stable etc. Don't know what their upgrade pricing structure is.

So I can't answer that question. 😎

Read/Write NTFS free for Macosx High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.