Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I stop emails deleted from server being removed from my inbox

I am using the Email App that comes with the iPad.

I have had to delete my email account from my iPad so that I could release the disc storage that it was taking up on my iPad.

I have recreated the account OK and can download emails from the POP server of my email account.

However, I now have a problem:-

When I delete emails from the email server using, say, webmail from my browser the emails also disappear from the Inbox on my iPad too - but I want them to stay there until I delete them from the iPad.

I can't work out which setting it is, I have tried everything I can see.

Has anyone any ideas please?

Thanks

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 9.3.5

Posted on Oct 22, 2017 4:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 26, 2017 10:45 AM

OK. It is possible to set up a Mail account on an iPad with full control over the settings, although Apple makes this difficult. First, be sure you have all the setup info for your account, including server names, ports, SSL, etc. I assume you're on iOS 9 or 10. Go to Settings > Mail > Accounts. Select Create New Account, choose Other, and use a false name for the email, say fred@bogus.net. Apple doesn't know how to configure bogus.net, so it gives you the choice of IMAP or POP. You can then enter the correct details in that window and continue to complete setup.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 26, 2017 10:45 AM in response to trubmij

OK. It is possible to set up a Mail account on an iPad with full control over the settings, although Apple makes this difficult. First, be sure you have all the setup info for your account, including server names, ports, SSL, etc. I assume you're on iOS 9 or 10. Go to Settings > Mail > Accounts. Select Create New Account, choose Other, and use a false name for the email, say fred@bogus.net. Apple doesn't know how to configure bogus.net, so it gives you the choice of IMAP or POP. You can then enter the correct details in that window and continue to complete setup.

Oct 26, 2017 8:49 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Sorry to not have got back to you before but due to personal pressures have not been able to look at the iPad for a couple of days.

I do not know if the App is set to use POP3 or IMAP I cant see what protocol is being used in the settings. The App is the standard App that comes with the iPad. I would be grateful if you could tell me how to setup the account for POP3 which is what my Email Service Provider requires. I would be happy to use another (Free) iPad client App if such a one exists.

This issue did not happen when I originally set up this email account on the iPad. I only deleted the account to clear the space on my iPad that the App was taking. It seems that when emails were individually erased the iPad did not release space back to the system, especially attachments.

I hope you can help

Kind regards

Oct 27, 2017 4:57 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Very many thanks.

I have set up a POP email account using the methods you kindly advised.

I managed to set the incoming POP 3 server port to my SP's port number of 110 but can't find how to set up the outgoing SMTP server port to 1025. How do I do this please? Or can I just take the default which has been setup for me?

On the "Advanced" tab of the settings is where one can setup the Incoming Server Port but there are no options for the Outgoing Server ports.

Thanks and kind regards

Nov 8, 2017 4:23 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Fun? I find Apple and IoS a bit of a struggle although I have been in IT since the early 60s and mainly concentrated on large mainframe systems and latterly Unix and MS, both to a Sysadmin level, IoS passed me by before I retired. Without the internet and support communities like this it would be impossible.

Once again, many thanks and kind regards

Jan 12, 2018 10:03 AM in response to Diana.McCall

Last October/November you helped me with a problem on our iPad Email. You said in one replt to "Go to Settings > Mail > Accounts. Select Create New Account, choose Other, and use a false name for the email, say fred@bogus.net. Apple doesn't know how to configure bogus.net, so it gives you the choice of IMAP or POP. You can then enter the correct details in that window and continue to complete setup."

Well .did all you suggested and everything seemed to be in order. However, just noticed that when replying to an email on the iPad in the "Cc/Bcc, From:" field on the outgoing email form it has an entry fred@bogus.net. Is there something I omitted to do or is this normal and I should just ignore. By the way, it does not seem to happen with all emails being replied to.

Your comments will be most welcome.

Kind regards

How do I stop emails deleted from server being removed from my inbox

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.