Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I completely remove Java from High Sierra

I don't seem to be able to completely remove Java from High Sierra in order to install the older version. The legacy version is required for Dreamweaver CS5. I've follow the directions on the Apple discussions regarding the Terminal commands, but I still get the same error.

User uploaded file

I've run the following commands, as suggested in support articles, but I still get the error shown above.

sudo rm -fr /Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/JavaAppletPlugin.plugin

sudo rm -fr /Library/PreferencePanes/JavaControlPanel.prefPane

sudo rm -fr ~/Library/Application\ Support/Java

The only Java files I can still find are in system\library\java but they can't be deleted, even with Admin rights. I tried logging on in Safe Mode but ran into the same error.

User uploaded file

Does anyone know which files are causing the error and can be deleted? I'm dead in the water with Dreamweaver until I can resolve this and install the legacy version of Java.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS Sierra (10.12.2), Late 2016 with Touchbar

Posted on Oct 22, 2017 12:11 PM

8 replies

Oct 23, 2017 4:52 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney, I don't believe that's correct. The legacy version was running fine under High Sierra until, like a dope, I fell for the Java update. Dreamweaver CS5 needs that legacy version to run. For whatever reason, the newer version breaks the software. Have you seen a technical bulletin from Apple that says otherwise?

Oct 23, 2017 1:54 PM in response to BocaBoy

I wanted others to know that I resolved this problem by first disabling SIP, then using Pacifist to install the legacy version of Java. It's a shame that it's so difficult to do what should be simple, but nonetheless, this will work for High Sierra, and presumably earlier versions of OS X as well.

Google "disable SIP Mac" for instructions on how to temporarily turn off SIP. Google "Pacifist software Mac" for the download location of the software. Pacifist is shareware and the author requests $20 if you decide to keep it on your drive.

When you run Pacifist, you'll be presented with a lot of requests to overwrite files in user/bin. I answered "yes" to all of them to complete the installation, then re-enabled SIP. Dreamweaver is now working correctly.

How do I completely remove Java from High Sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.