Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verizon to AOL migration

Anyone who was migrated from Verizon to AOL: Have you discovered that you now receive NO spam in your spam folder? I have only found 4-6 spam messages in this folder (on AOL Web mail site) in over 6 months! This strikes me as NOT a good thing--how is it possible? What messages am I not receiving that I should? Also, using the 'raw source' data, most of my emails arrive 3-5 hours later than they were sent. Finally, 2 friends (also migration victims) w/whom I correspond frequently reported that when I forwarded an AOL message (re the Nov 7 'security' change) it ended up in their SPAM folder. Feedback/comments appreciated. Thank you!

Posted on Oct 22, 2017 6:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2017 9:26 AM

My apologies for making light of what is, for you, a serious situation. I should have resisted the urge to make light of what most people think of as an incessant annoyance. My attempt at humor fell flat.

AOL has some help for this issue, available here:

AOL Mail: Spam and Privacy - AOL Help

AOL keeps a Spam folder with identified spam in it. You can access that folder through their webmail interface. If an item in it has been mis-identified, you can mark it as Not-Spam, and it will be moved to your inbox. items in this Spam folder will be retained for five days, then automatically deleted.

It appears you can also turn the AOL SPAM filter completely OFF, by unchecking this box in the AOL WebMail interface:

User uploaded file

... unchecking this box this should result in your receiving each and every email in your Mail.app inbox, and dealing with them in Mail.app instead of having AOL intervene on your behalf.

--------

I have both a direct AOL email and a converted Verizon email (now hosted by AOL). It is interesting that every other provider (including AOL mail) seems to make emails already tagged as "Junk", appear in my Mail.app top-level "Junk" mailbox, sorted by email account. Except one.

Verizon does not seem to do this, and there is no sub-mailbox for verizon under the "Junk" heading in Mail.app.

On inspecting the Spam folder directly under WebMail for my Verizon account, I do see one spam item there, from four days ago, about which I was never notified. There do not seem to be obvious additional options in AOL Webmail [that I could find] that would allow or prohibit identified Spam from being delivered as such to Mail.app.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2017 9:26 AM in response to etball3

My apologies for making light of what is, for you, a serious situation. I should have resisted the urge to make light of what most people think of as an incessant annoyance. My attempt at humor fell flat.

AOL has some help for this issue, available here:

AOL Mail: Spam and Privacy - AOL Help

AOL keeps a Spam folder with identified spam in it. You can access that folder through their webmail interface. If an item in it has been mis-identified, you can mark it as Not-Spam, and it will be moved to your inbox. items in this Spam folder will be retained for five days, then automatically deleted.

It appears you can also turn the AOL SPAM filter completely OFF, by unchecking this box in the AOL WebMail interface:

User uploaded file

... unchecking this box this should result in your receiving each and every email in your Mail.app inbox, and dealing with them in Mail.app instead of having AOL intervene on your behalf.

--------

I have both a direct AOL email and a converted Verizon email (now hosted by AOL). It is interesting that every other provider (including AOL mail) seems to make emails already tagged as "Junk", appear in my Mail.app top-level "Junk" mailbox, sorted by email account. Except one.

Verizon does not seem to do this, and there is no sub-mailbox for verizon under the "Junk" heading in Mail.app.

On inspecting the Spam folder directly under WebMail for my Verizon account, I do see one spam item there, from four days ago, about which I was never notified. There do not seem to be obvious additional options in AOL Webmail [that I could find] that would allow or prohibit identified Spam from being delivered as such to Mail.app.

Oct 23, 2017 9:10 AM in response to etball3

Let me get this straight:

¿You are NOT receiving SPAM, and this concerns you?

¿why are you unable to "count your blessings" and use your time for more important things? Your friends will contact you through other means if their emails are being deleted and they are being ignored.

Alternatively, I would be happy to forward as much of the SPAM I receive as you would like. I assure you, there is no shortage!

Oct 24, 2017 7:59 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Dear Mr. Bennet-Alder, you have missed the important aspect of my 'complaint'. Receiving NO spam is impossible--I have other accounts, and all of them show 'some' spam--which they allow ME to view to determine their status. AOL does not. I have evidence that people have tried to contact me, but no message received on my end. This would indicate that AOL's 'filters' are hyperactive and are prohibiting communication rather than facilitating it. I HAD to participate in the migration debacle because I had recently updated business cards (I apply for work on many film/theatre projects). Trust me, potential employers in these fields, will NOT find other ways to contact you as there are so many aspirants. So the perceived (by you) 'blessing' is a 'curse' and the situation needs to be rectified. As I also indicated, I suspect others are experiencing similar issues; ergo, my post. Have a good day.

Oct 24, 2017 9:45 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank you for your apology and recognition of the issue as described by me. I actually check AOL web mail every day, and it is the SPAM folder indicated in your note that is ALWAYS empty; except for the 5-6 times an 'Apple' product notice was there (guess they don't like Apple!). I also turned off ALL spam filters about 3 weeks ago; and, still, no spam appears. So I believe you can begin to grasp my concern. AOL does not offer actual 'contact' help if you are a migrated customer--only if you pay. I do not intend to pay for a service which obviously is highly flawed. I'm sure that there are others out there experiencing issues which was why I posted. I hope to collect info and present it to a local TV 'fix it' person. I did discuss the issues w/Verizon and they were no help. So, it's time to escalate. I also fear this new notice re 'updating' protocol security' for downloading my AOL emails to IPhone & Mac Book. I do intend to go to Apple for assistance w/this. I hope it can be accomplished w/out adding any AOL app(s) to my devices. If necessary, I will wean my business communications to another service. However, I feel both Verizon and AOL need to be held accountable for their 'business plan' which has had a negative impact on me and perhaps others!

Oct 24, 2017 9:54 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

I may have uncovered the reason for this. My converted Verizon Account is the only one still using POP, a poor cousin of IMAP. Thought I had fixed that, but it appears I did not.

Oct 24, 2017 11:04 AM in response to etball3

I also fear this new notice re 'updating' protocol security' for downloading my AOL emails to IPhone & Mac Book.

Their handing of the notifications is amateurish. They appear to want you to connect to AOL webmail so they can boost their advertising revenues, and hope to sell you something along the way.

What that boils down to is changing which port is used to service email. The settings are in Mail.app:

Step 2: Check your Server and port settings using the information provided in the AOL Supported Configuration chart below.

Your email client might prompt you to select either IMAP or POP3. To learn more about the differences between IMAP and POP3, please visit our help article What is the difference between POP3 and IMAP? If you decide to change your configuration from POP3 to IMAP, be sure to save or backup your email to avoid potential loss during the transition.

Protocol Server Settings Port Settings
POP3 Incoming mail server (POP3): pop.verizon.net
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.verizon.net
Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.
POP3 - 995 - SSL
SMTP - 465 - SSL
IMAP Incoming mail server (IMAP): imap.aol.com
Outgoing mail server (SMTP): smtp.aol.com
Make sure SSL encryption is enabled for the incoming and outgoing mail server.
IMAP - 993 - SSL
SMTP - 465 - SSL

Step 3: Update and save any changes.

Verizon to AOL migration

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.