Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Activity Ring not recording workout

After I did an outside walk for 45 minuite the activity ring only recorded 2 minutes

i have an series 2 Apple Watch

this only started when I updated my phone to a 8plus and paired my watch to my phone

Apple Watch Series 2, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Oct 22, 2017 8:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 23, 2017 1:55 AM

Hi

If your exercise intensity levels are unchanged and, after switching your Apple Watch to a new iPhone, you are earning different amounts of Exercise credit, then the following steps may help, having resolved the same issue for other users:

Check your personal information:

• The definition of a brisk walk (the minimum equivalent intensity level for activity to earn Exercise credit) varies by person and depends on your personal information. To check that this is accurate:
    • On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

Check your Location Services settings:

• On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:
    • Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
    • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
    • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.
    • If the settings are already enabled, try briefly turning them off and then back again.

Reset your existing calibration data and recalibrate your Apple Watch:

Check that you are wearing your Apple Watch sufficiently snugly on the top of your wrist:

• If your Apple Watch is worn too loosely, it can believe that it has been removed, causing activity to not be tracked.
  • For the best performance from your Apple Watch - including the most accurate readings from the heart rate sensor, which is used continually during workouts - be sure to wear your Apple Watch snugly (but not too tightly) during your workouts.
  • Apple suggests tightening your Apple Watch band before workouts and loosening it again afterwards:

Record workouts under Other for full Exercise credit:

• If you would prefer to receive Exercise credit for the full duration of workouts, regardless of their estimated intensity levels, then track them via the Workout app using "Other" as the activity type.
  • This will credit one minute of Exercise for each full minute of the workout. Active calories will be estimated at a rate equivalent to a brisk walk or based on data recorded by the heart rate sensor, whichever is higher.
  • However, note that neither distance nor a route map are recorded for outdoor workouts under this workout activity type.

More information:

Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it. - Apple Support

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 23, 2017 1:55 AM in response to Sglemarbe

Hi

If your exercise intensity levels are unchanged and, after switching your Apple Watch to a new iPhone, you are earning different amounts of Exercise credit, then the following steps may help, having resolved the same issue for other users:

Check your personal information:

• The definition of a brisk walk (the minimum equivalent intensity level for activity to earn Exercise credit) varies by person and depends on your personal information. To check that this is accurate:
    • On your iPhone, in the Watch app, go to: My Watch (tab) > Health > Edit - tap and adjust items, then tap on Done.

Check your Location Services settings:

• On your iPhone, go to: Settings > Privacy > Location Services:
    • Check that Location Services (the main setting at the top) is turned on.
    • In the list of apps beneath, check that Apple Watch Workout is set to While Using.
    • Also enable options under System Services including Motion Calibration & Distance, Wi-Fi Networking and Mobile Network Search.
    • If the settings are already enabled, try briefly turning them off and then back again.

Reset your existing calibration data and recalibrate your Apple Watch:

Check that you are wearing your Apple Watch sufficiently snugly on the top of your wrist:

• If your Apple Watch is worn too loosely, it can believe that it has been removed, causing activity to not be tracked.
  • For the best performance from your Apple Watch - including the most accurate readings from the heart rate sensor, which is used continually during workouts - be sure to wear your Apple Watch snugly (but not too tightly) during your workouts.
  • Apple suggests tightening your Apple Watch band before workouts and loosening it again afterwards:

Record workouts under Other for full Exercise credit:

• If you would prefer to receive Exercise credit for the full duration of workouts, regardless of their estimated intensity levels, then track them via the Workout app using "Other" as the activity type.
  • This will credit one minute of Exercise for each full minute of the workout. Active calories will be estimated at a rate equivalent to a brisk walk or based on data recorded by the heart rate sensor, whichever is higher.
  • However, note that neither distance nor a route map are recorded for outdoor workouts under this workout activity type.

More information:

Use the Activity app on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Work out with your Apple Watch - Apple Support

Your heart rate. What it means, and where on Apple Watch you’ll find it. - Apple Support

Oct 28, 2017 3:13 AM in response to Sglemarbe

The following further steps may help:

Close certain apps and restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch:

If the issue persists, then it may help to unpair and re-pair your Apple Watch:

If the issue still persists, then - given the steps that you have already tried - I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Nov 5, 2017 2:31 PM in response to Sglemarbe

Sglemarbe wrote:

I have tried everything you suggested nothing has worked ..

As previously advised:

Jonathan UK wrote:

.. If the issue still persists, then - given the steps that you have already tried - I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Note that you are not talking to Apple here - this is a user-based technical support community.

Oct 28, 2017 3:09 AM in response to Jonathan UK

No I tried everything and still why I am using the outdoor walk it doesn’t pick up my minutes. I walk 30 minutes to 40 minutes a day and never get credit for it. Also the heart rate monitor doesn’t pick up. Now when I used any other work out feature it’s fine, I have to believe there is something wrong with the new update 11.0.3 I’m not the only one having issues with this. The friend I walk with her’s doesn’t pick up either. This is for both indoor and outdoor walk features. I wish you could fix this I love my watch but it’s not helpful with my workouts I exercise by walking and want to see my route and miles. I don’t want to use other while walking. Before the update it was great picked up everything

😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫😫

Nov 5, 2017 2:36 PM in response to Jonathan UK

I went to the Apple store near me and they were no help. They don’t seem to think that it’s an issue, but I do. And as I told there Technology personal I paid a lot for my watch to have a problem with the activity when using the indoor and outdoor walk. I think it’s a lot of BS that Apple not that concerned with there customers. They sure did want to cell me my watch😟😟😟😟😟

Nov 2, 2017 7:29 PM in response to Jonathan UK

I have the same issue, except that mine is a 3-week old Series 3 Watch that's only been paired with a 8 Plus. In addition, the issue is not calibration nor tightness of watch nor Location Services, as the Workout app has all the information on my 21 minute walk today. All data is there, distance, heart rate, pace, etc. However, the Exercise ring in Activity refuses to add the 21 minutes. The distance via a walk is shown at the bottom of the Activity screens, if you scroll all the way down.

If I told it I did a walk for that time, why wouldn't it add it to the rings?

You implied in your first response that the workout had to be strong enough, brisk enough, to qualify. Where is that setting so I can turn it off? If I record a walk for a certain time & distance I don't need the watch to interpret whether it was exercise or not - *I* determine that.

My Fitbit Charge 2 has a choice for walk and it handles the data automatically with no fuss. I'm confused why the Apple Watch can't do the same.

Nov 4, 2017 12:28 PM in response to Jonathan UK

I have tried everything you suggested nothing has worked I even unpaired my watch and repaired. Very disappointed in the new upgrade. It was working fine until I upgraded. This is only happening when I use the indoor walk or outdoor walk. And I am not the only one others are having the same issue. It’s very disappointing to walk for 30 minutes and not have it record your minutes or ❤ rate . 👎👎👎👎👎

Activity Ring not recording workout

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.