Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can i unpair my watch from a phone that’s broken?

I have a Apple Watch that my friend sold to me but it’s having a hard time pairing to my phone because it’s still under hers.But her old phone is broken so she can’t unpair it so how can she unpair so it can connect to mines?

Posted on Oct 23, 2017 6:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2017 1:35 AM

Hi

If your friend lives sufficiently nearby that she can visit and assist you with the process, then follow these steps:

If the Apple Watch has not yet been erased, then ask your friend to follow the instructions here (under "Erase your Apple Watch") to erase the Apple Watch manually:

Unpair your Apple Watch and iPhone - Apple Support

Activation Lock (which prevents unauthorised use of Apple Watch if it is lost or stolen) may also be enabled:

About Activation Lock on your Apple Watch - Apple Support

If Activation Lock is enabled:

You will be prompted for the previous owner's Apple ID and password upon starting to pair the Apple Watch to your own iPhone:

Ask your friend to enter her Apple ID and password on your iPhone when prompted:

• This will remove Activation Lock and enable you to continue with pairing the Apple Watch.
  • Your friend's credentials will not be saved on your iPhone.
  • Note that you should not ask your friend to disclose her Apple ID credentials to you in order to do this yourself; she should instead enter them herself.

If it is not convenient for your friend to assist you in person:

As your friend no longer has a working iPhone, ask her to follow these steps to unpair the Apple watch and also to turn off Activation Lock, enabling you to pair it to your own iPhone under your own Apple ID:

• On a computer, in a web browser, go to iCloud.com > sign in with her Apple ID.
  • Go to Find My iPhone.
  • Select All Devices > click on the Apple Watch.
  • Click Erase Apple Watch > select Next until the device is erased.
  • Click X next to the Apple Watch.
  • More information:

If she has already taken those or other steps that should have removed Activation Lock, then it may help if you follow these steps:

On your iPhone: close the Watch app:

• Double-press on the Home button, then swipe up on the Watch app preview.

Restart both your iPhone and Apple Watch, turning both off together, then restarting your iPhone first:

Re-try pairing and setting up the Apple Watch:

If the Apple Watch then remains locked by Activation Lock, either:

Ask your friend to accompany you and the Apple Watch to a Genius Bar appointment, taking along her original proof of purchase for the watch.

Or ask your friend to contact Apple Support and explain that she has been unable to remove Activation Lock from an Apple Watch that she has sold:

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 24, 2017 1:35 AM in response to Jah0414

Hi

If your friend lives sufficiently nearby that she can visit and assist you with the process, then follow these steps:

If the Apple Watch has not yet been erased, then ask your friend to follow the instructions here (under "Erase your Apple Watch") to erase the Apple Watch manually:

Unpair your Apple Watch and iPhone - Apple Support

Activation Lock (which prevents unauthorised use of Apple Watch if it is lost or stolen) may also be enabled:

If Activation Lock is enabled:

You will be prompted for the previous owner's Apple ID and password upon starting to pair the Apple Watch to your own iPhone:

Ask your friend to enter her Apple ID and password on your iPhone when prompted:

• This will remove Activation Lock and enable you to continue with pairing the Apple Watch.
  • Your friend's credentials will not be saved on your iPhone.
  • Note that you should not ask your friend to disclose her Apple ID credentials to you in order to do this yourself; she should instead enter them herself.

If it is not convenient for your friend to assist you in person:

As your friend no longer has a working iPhone, ask her to follow these steps to unpair the Apple watch and also to turn off Activation Lock, enabling you to pair it to your own iPhone under your own Apple ID:

• On a computer, in a web browser, go to iCloud.com > sign in with her Apple ID.
  • Go to Find My iPhone.
  • Select All Devices > click on the Apple Watch.
  • Click Erase Apple Watch > select Next until the device is erased.
  • Click X next to the Apple Watch.
  • More information:

If she has already taken those or other steps that should have removed Activation Lock, then it may help if you follow these steps:

On your iPhone: close the Watch app:

• Double-press on the Home button, then swipe up on the Watch app preview.

Restart both your iPhone and Apple Watch, turning both off together, then restarting your iPhone first:

Re-try pairing and setting up the Apple Watch:

If the Apple Watch then remains locked by Activation Lock, either:

Ask your friend to accompany you and the Apple Watch to a Genius Bar appointment, taking along her original proof of purchase for the watch.

Or ask your friend to contact Apple Support and explain that she has been unable to remove Activation Lock from an Apple Watch that she has sold:

How can i unpair my watch from a phone that’s broken?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.