Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Files app: Create new folder On My iPhone

In the new Files App, I don’t seem to be able to add a new folder in the On My iPhone location.

At present I just have one folder in there already, for a writing app I use called Byword. If I enter this folder I can create new folders inside it, but I can’t create a new folder on the the root of On My iPhone. I also can’t copy folders or files here from other locations like iCloud.

This seems like a pretty glaring omission. How do I store files I want to keep locally for offline access? What is the point of even showing On My iPhone if I can’t actually make use of it?

I’d be grateful for any enlightenment on this.

Thanks

Posted on Oct 23, 2017 11:44 PM

6 replies

Oct 24, 2017 1:21 PM in response to orphiccreative

Hello, orphiccreative.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities.

I understand that you're unable to create a new folder under the "On my iPhone" for the Files App. I may be able to help with this. What type of files are you trying to access offline? Check out this article: Use the Files app on your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Create a new folder

1. Go to Locations.
  2. Tap iCloud Drive, On My [device], or the name of a third-party cloud service where you want to keep your new folder. If you choose On My [device], you can only add new subfolders. To continue, tap an existing folder.
  3. Swipe down on the screen.
  4. Tap User uploaded file.
  5. Enter the name of your new folder. Then tap Done.

If you don't see User uploaded file or it's gray, then the third-party cloud service doesn't support new folders.

Step 2 explains that you can only add new subfolders to the On My iPhone section. To download a file directly from the Files App for offline use, you should see a tiny cloud with a down arrow on it. This link has a great reference for this: Use iCloud Drive or iBooks to access your PDF files, ePub files, and books

Download items from iCloud Drive

You can download ePub, iBooks Author books, and PDF files from iCloud Drive to your iPhone, iPad, iPod touch, or Mac.

iPhone, iPad, iPod touch

1. Open iBooks.
  2. Scroll to find the item that you want to download.
  3. Tap the Download icon User uploaded file in the upper-right corner of the item that you want to download. The item downloads to your library.

If you turn off iBooks in Settings > iCloud > iCloud Drive, iBooks items that you save to iCloud Drive will no longer be available on that device.

Let me know if this helps.

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.

Cheers!

Nov 10, 2017 5:31 PM in response to Badge958

You cannot create anything in the base of the “On my iPhone” folder. Apps that are coded to work with the Files App will place their folders there. Other loctions (e.g. Dropbox, iCloud Drive, MS OneDrive, stand-alone apps that include a folder like PDF Expert, Readdle Documents, etc) will allow you to create sub-folders by long pressing in the location and choose “new folder”.

But in the “On my iPhone“ folder itself, only an App can create a base folder. You can only create sub-folders within those. So yes, you can long press in the Nook folder and create sub folders if you wish to.

But otherwise, use one of the general storage locations like your iCloud Drive folder for your own sub-folders.

Nov 10, 2017 5:31 PM in response to Badge958

Hi Badge958. Yes, sort of. The Files app actually relies on the storage of other apps. It has no storage of its own. As various apps are updated, they will likely be visible in the Files app under On my iPhone, just like your Nook. Currently, the updated iWork apps (Pages, etc.) do this, though you have to create a document in them before they appear.

The Files app is really an enhanced iCloud Drive app, not a true general file manager. And the iPhone storage is still managed by the individual apps. If you need to manage files of various types, look at FileExplorer, Documents6, or GoodReader.

Nov 10, 2017 5:16 PM in response to rose_10

This did not answer the question. Currently I only have “NOOK” in “In my iPhone” location and can not figure out how to create a new folder or how to move anything from one of my other loacations in/to the “In my iPhone” loacation. Note I can create a new folder or move things into the NOOK folder (or subfolders.) Am I suppose to put everything in the NOOK folder???

Files app: Create new folder On My iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.