Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

“Macintosh HD” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.

My MacBookPro 2017 13 inch, 256Gb Storage, IOS 10.13,

When I use my finder to open "Macintosh HD", its come out with this “Macintosh HD” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found."

I am not able to open my file store in HD, I have searched through Google, but seems like no one have this problem.

I have tried using Disk Utility, but problems still can't solve.

Really appreciate of yours replying!

MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, 2 TBT3), macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 24, 2017 12:02 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 11, 2017 4:23 PM

Right I had this issue as well.

The way I fixed was as following:

1. Open a Finder window.
  2. Open Finder Preferences.
  3. In the 'Devices' section of the 'Sidebar' tab, click the option for your device name. In my case it's "Thomas's MacBook Pro".
  4. In the Finder window, go to the Devices section in the sidebar. You should see your device name.
  5. Click into this in the Finder - you should see your HD. Drag and drop this into the favourites or wherever you like and this should work as a new link. You can then remove the original link from the sidebar.

Hope this helps!

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 11, 2017 4:23 PM in response to JosephWYZ

Right I had this issue as well.

The way I fixed was as following:

1. Open a Finder window.
  2. Open Finder Preferences.
  3. In the 'Devices' section of the 'Sidebar' tab, click the option for your device name. In my case it's "Thomas's MacBook Pro".
  4. In the Finder window, go to the Devices section in the sidebar. You should see your device name.
  5. Click into this in the Finder - you should see your HD. Drag and drop this into the favourites or wherever you like and this should work as a new link. You can then remove the original link from the sidebar.

Hope this helps!

Oct 24, 2017 5:10 AM in response to JosephWYZ

How exactly are you trying to open "Macintosh HD" in Finder?

What happens if you do the following? In Finder, use the Go menu to navigate to "Home". A window should open with its title being the name of your home directory. Command click on the title of that resulting Finder window. Can you select Macintosh HD there?

Dec 29, 2017 1:29 PM in response to CT

I went to "computer" on the Go menu and "Macintosh HD" was listed as a file on the resulting screen. It worked normally when I clicked it. The dead link was still on the left-hand sidebar of the Finder window. I drug and dropped the working icon/file onto the left-hand sidebar and I noticed it had a slightly different icon than the dead link now listed above it. I deleted the dead link and the new one seems to be working fine.

“Macintosh HD” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.