Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is and how do I find my recovery key

I am using a 1st gen iPad I need a recovery key It keeps saying user name or PE for “iCloud” is incorrect So I sign in but I do not know the RK

Posted on Oct 24, 2017 12:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 25, 2017 8:27 AM

Hi there, beckybelle.

I see that you're trying to locate a recovery key, but you're not sure what it is or where it's at. I'm happy to help.

Two-step verification for Apple ID -- You were provided with a 14-character Recovery Key to print and keep in a safe place when you started using two-step verification for your Apple ID.

What do I need to remember when I use two-step verification?

Two-step verification simplifies and strengthens the security of your Apple ID. After you turn it on, there's no way for anyone to access and manage your account other than by using your password, verification codes sent to your trusted devices, or your Recovery Key. Only you can reset your password, manage your trusted devices, or create a new Recovery Key. Apple Support can help you with other aspects of your service, but they aren't able to update or recover these three things for you. When you use two-step verification, you are responsible for:

• Remembering your password
  • Keeping your trusted devices physically secure
  • Keeping your Recovery Key in a safe place

If you lose access to two of these three items at the same time, you could be locked out of your Apple ID permanently.

What if I lose my Recovery Key?

You can sign in to your Apple ID account page and create a new Recovery Key using your Apple ID password and one of your trusted devices.

Take care!

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 25, 2017 8:27 AM in response to beckybelle

Hi there, beckybelle.

I see that you're trying to locate a recovery key, but you're not sure what it is or where it's at. I'm happy to help.

Two-step verification for Apple ID -- You were provided with a 14-character Recovery Key to print and keep in a safe place when you started using two-step verification for your Apple ID.

What do I need to remember when I use two-step verification?

Two-step verification simplifies and strengthens the security of your Apple ID. After you turn it on, there's no way for anyone to access and manage your account other than by using your password, verification codes sent to your trusted devices, or your Recovery Key. Only you can reset your password, manage your trusted devices, or create a new Recovery Key. Apple Support can help you with other aspects of your service, but they aren't able to update or recover these three things for you. When you use two-step verification, you are responsible for:

• Remembering your password
  • Keeping your trusted devices physically secure
  • Keeping your Recovery Key in a safe place

If you lose access to two of these three items at the same time, you could be locked out of your Apple ID permanently.

What if I lose my Recovery Key?

You can sign in to your Apple ID account page and create a new Recovery Key using your Apple ID password and one of your trusted devices.

Take care!

What is and how do I find my recovery key

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.