Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Safety of Face ID system for eyes?

Hi,

I'm considering a purchase of iPhone X. I have a concern about safety of dot projector in iPhone X for my eyes.

As I understood, dot projector in iPhone X emitts infrared rays for the work of Face ID function.

It should work fine in normal conditions with ambient light and at normal distance when we hold the iPhone (in 10-20 inches from our face).

However what will happen:

A. If I turn on the iPhone X at night in full dark?

B. Or I accidentally turn on the iPhone X from close distance to my face (within 1-2 inches) ?

May the dot projector in iPhone X damage retina in my eyes?

A pupil in the eye reacts only to a visible light, not to infrared light. And in the dark pupil is fully open and eye will get all the light from infrared dot projector.

I'm wondered that nobody raise this subject before.

Posted on Oct 26, 2017 1:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2017 6:09 PM

I'm surprised there isn't more information about this. I really like my iPhoneX. The form factor and screen are close to perfect. Unfortunately I will be returning it due to discomfort using the FaceID. Dont get me wrong, It works very well. The issue is after a days use I notice my eyes are irritated and I have a slight headache. Switching back to my iPhone6, no issues.

Whats more worrying, even after completely switching off FaceID (all options), the sensor light stll projects as soon as the phone is active. This means the whole time you are looking at the iPhoneX, even with FaceID switched off, the light is pulsating in your face. (Can be proven with a normal handycam)

I would be happy to use the passcode (touchID would of been better) to unlock the iPhoneX knowing there was no sensors operating beaming into my face when the function was turned off.

Unfortunately this option isn't available.

Why apple, with the FaceID completely turned off, should the Flood illuminator / Proximity Sensor still continue to operate?

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2017 6:09 PM in response to Igor Kokarev

I'm surprised there isn't more information about this. I really like my iPhoneX. The form factor and screen are close to perfect. Unfortunately I will be returning it due to discomfort using the FaceID. Dont get me wrong, It works very well. The issue is after a days use I notice my eyes are irritated and I have a slight headache. Switching back to my iPhone6, no issues.

Whats more worrying, even after completely switching off FaceID (all options), the sensor light stll projects as soon as the phone is active. This means the whole time you are looking at the iPhoneX, even with FaceID switched off, the light is pulsating in your face. (Can be proven with a normal handycam)

I would be happy to use the passcode (touchID would of been better) to unlock the iPhoneX knowing there was no sensors operating beaming into my face when the function was turned off.

Unfortunately this option isn't available.

Why apple, with the FaceID completely turned off, should the Flood illuminator / Proximity Sensor still continue to operate?

Oct 26, 2017 1:59 AM in response to Igor Kokarev

I'm wondered that nobody raise this subject before.

Because there is not an issue for people who know science and the device is not released yet.

A. Infrared works on a different spectrum, it out of range for human eyes. It doesn't matter if it's day or night.

It's full dark for you but not for the infrared light.

B. The same, you don't get a higher doses because of that (it has low output)

Face ID is tested and meet International Safety Standard.

Oct 26, 2017 2:11 AM in response to ckuan

Thanks for your reply. I have a good education and I know physiscs.

Infrared light is invisible for our eyes, but it still has energy. The more close length of infrared light to visible light the more energy it contains (long length of inrared light means less energy).

So I Apple use infrared light which is close to the range of visible light, the energy of this infrared light will be significant.

Of course, it's better to wait first responses from people to see that it's safe for eyes and everything is OK.

Nov 23, 2017 6:16 AM in response to yannickfromparis

yannickfromparis wrote:

It’s the same for me. IR VSCEL (lasers) are dangerous for cornea, vitreous humor, lens, and retina, causing black or white spot on long term exposure.

That’s the reason for I will stop buy Apple products since they don’t clarify the safety issues and share some innocuity studies.

Please, take a look at this Apple Support article:

About Face ID advanced technology - Apple Support

Regards

Giulio

Oct 26, 2017 3:03 AM in response to ckuan

If I were to get an iPhone X I would skip Facial ID entirely and go with the Passcode setup. The passcode setup has more legal protections (requires a judicial warrant, depending on juristiction. Here in Canada it requires a judicial warrant which is routinely not granted, due to privacy concerns. It's only done if there's a compelling reason, and it has to be a good one) than Face ID.

With that said, I wonder if someone can unlock the phone after a night at the bar. It might meet standards, but what if your buddy gets a hold of your phone and is able to unlock it using Face ID to take a pic of your night at the bar? You know that will end up on the Internet by the time you're done reading this sentence.

Based on that, I would not trust Face ID entirely yet.

Oct 26, 2017 3:12 AM in response to Driver8666

Driver8666 wrote:

If I were to get an iPhone X I would skip Facial ID entirely and go with the Passcode setup. The passcode setup has more legal protections (requires a judicial warrant, and depending on juristiction. Here in Canada it requires a judicial warrant which is routinely not granted, due to privacy concerns) than Face ID.

With that said, I wonder if someone can unlock the phone after a night at the bar. It might meet standards, but what if your buddy gets a hold of your phone and is able to unlock it using Face ID to take a pic of your night at the bar?

Face ID can be easily switch OFF same as TouchID.

Maybe you find the right buddy to out with.

Oct 26, 2017 7:01 AM in response to Igor Kokarev

Igor Kokarev wrote:

A similar situation happened with iris scanner in Samsung S8 which uses near-IR light. Many users complained about problem with eyes after using this scanner. So IR light can be dangerous for our eyes.

Honestly, I'm afraid to buy iPhone X only for this possible problem with IR dot projector and my eyes.

I wouldn't compare iPhone with Samsung Galaxy S...

Apple do the whole device hardware and software and because of that even with less RAM it is much faster than Samsungs'. The latest A11 Bionic blew them away.

Also Samsung is not good at software, most features they have are more of a gimmicks.

Software is from Google and they put a layer over it.

Well, enough said. Competition is good for us consumers.

Anyway, you don't need to buy iPhone X if you have doubts. The new iPhone 8 and 8 Plus have the same A11 and Touch ID.

Touch ID started with iPhone 5s, now it is everywhere on all models of iPhone & iPad as well. I think the Face ID is inevitable, as it's more secure than Touch ID and the hardware will get cheaper.

Nov 23, 2017 6:54 AM in response to ProustGiulio

This article doesn't convince me.

Quote: "The TrueDepth camera system is safe to use under normal usage conditions."

What will happen if I accidently will place iPhone X very close to my eyes when I try to activate the phone?

What will happen if do same at night in full dark?

With visible light our eyes can indicate about danger of too bright light, but infrared light is invisible.

Dec 3, 2017 4:08 AM in response to Baintek

Hi,

Probably your problem with eyes is not related with Face ID system. iPhone X uses OLED screen which is flickers at low frequency (60-240 Hz) especially when you set brightness below 30-50%. Flickering (even invisible) may cause headache and migrain for sensitive people.

So to find an exact reason of this problem you can do the following. Turn off Face ID and use black duct tape to cover area of the dot projector (IR light projector) of Face ID system. If the problem with eyes will remain, it will mean that your problem is related with flickering OLED screen in your iPhone X.

I wish to buy iPhone X, but I cannot, because flickering is not acceptable for my eyes. I still have to use iPhone 7. Also I don't like Face ID, because I'm not sure that it's safe for my eyes.

Safety of Face ID system for eyes?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.