Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Desktop rebuild after AppleWorks 6 Install

I have a refurbished iBook G3 / 900MHz with OS 9.2.2 & 10.2.4 (dual boot configuration). Awhile back I installed AppleWorks 6.2.3 (while booted to OS 9).

When the computer restarted after the install, it immediately began rebuilding the desktop. I've never had that happen before after installing a program. Is this normal with AppleWorks 6? The real problem was that it took an hour to complete!

Normally I rebuild the desktop with extensions off, and it takes about 5 minutes (on this machine). Any ideas why the desktop rebuild was triggered after the install, and why it took so long to complete?

Thanks.

iMac G3, iBook G3, Mac OS 9.2.x, iMacG3: 400 MHz; 64 MB; 10 GB. iBookG3: 900 MHz; 640 MB; 40 GB

Posted on Jan 12, 2007 9:53 PM

4 replies

Jan 12, 2007 10:48 PM in response to motc

If the Finder thinks that there is a problem with the desktop database or if the files have been moved, it will rebuild the desktop the next time it starts up. This can also happen if the File Exchange control panel was disabled the last time the desktop was rebuilt, as this control panel's functionality affects the database.

If you have Mac OS X installed on the system and you rebuild the desktop from Mac OS 9, the process will take a long time because it is checking all of the files Mac OS X uses. This can be avoided by using the Classic pane of System Preferences to rebuild the desktop.

(19117)

Jan 14, 2007 9:16 AM in response to Niel

Thanks Niel.

I did as you suggested and it took about 5 seconds!

So, if I understand you right, when rebuilding the desktop from OS 9 (with a dual boot OS 9/10 configuration), OS X files are also being checked, and this isn't necessary? I guess what I'm asking is, is the rebuild still as thorough as if done while booted to OS 9?

Actually, is there even a need (or a way) to rebuild the desktop in OS X?

Thanks in advance.

Desktop rebuild after AppleWorks 6 Install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.