Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How To Automatically Delete Junk Mail

It is evident from reading posts about how to set-up Mac Mail to automatically delete junk mail, that as far back as 2006 this has been a problem. Yet I can find no instructions that work on my iMac - running OS X 10.12.6.

As things stand, I have Preferences / Junk Mail set to define Junk if "all" of three criteria are met:

1. "Sender is not in my recipients"

2. "Sender is not in my contacts"

3. "Message is junk mail"

The system has learned quite well what is 'Junk' and satisfactorily directs unwanted mail to the "Junk" mailbox.

I have three accounts, but only two ever receive mail. Both of the two accounts that receive mail have "Mailbox Behaviors" set to "Erase junk messages" "After one day", but they do not. The junk mail just builds up (in the Junk Mail mailbox) and I have to manually erase it.

The only possible explanation I can see is, my iCloud IMAP account - which is never used - was not set to "Erase junk messages" "After one day".

I have been unable to find any Apple literature that clearly describes how the system is supposed to work and how to set it up so that it does.

iMac, macOS Sierra (10.12.6), 21.5 inch, 3.06 GHz, Intel i3

Posted on Oct 26, 2017 3:30 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Nov 2, 2017 5:34 PM

I just want to thank GridLokx for articulating the problem. I can think only that this must not be a priority issue for many people, but I don't know why not; I am dreading a planned trip because I will not look at Mail on my Mac until my return, when there will doubtless be untold hundreds of junk messages. I for one will also send feedback to Apple.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Nov 2, 2017 5:34 PM in response to GridLokx

I just want to thank GridLokx for articulating the problem. I can think only that this must not be a priority issue for many people, but I don't know why not; I am dreading a planned trip because I will not look at Mail on my Mac until my return, when there will doubtless be untold hundreds of junk messages. I for one will also send feedback to Apple.

Nov 1, 2017 3:01 PM in response to Eric Root

The suggestions listed do not deal with the issue that, setting Mailbox Behaviours to Erase junk messages, after one day, does not work.

Despite having my accounts each set to behave as desired, they do not do so. To date, I have found no instructions as to how to make them behave as required. I therefore restate my initial inquiry: In Mac Mail, is it possible to configure it so that incoming mail that is identified as Junk - either by Settings or Manually, are automatically deleted after a specific period (e.g. one day)? This, if it was possible, would allow a user to check mail was being correctly assigned to the Junk mailbox while reducing the workload of manually selecting and deleting items.

If it is NOT possible, steps should be taken by Apple, to reconfigure Mac Mail so that it does not appear to be done. BUT, I would urge Apple to make available the facility described.

Nov 2, 2017 3:42 PM in response to Eric Root

Thank you to all for taking the time to respond. It is quite evident from other posts that Mac Mail is very much in need of an overhaul.

As my issue is not resolved, I am disinclined to mark my post as solved. However, I shall not make further comments unless someone adds to the thread, information that resolves the situation I have presented.

How To Automatically Delete Junk Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.