Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

nike run club "my coach" feature and apple watch

The Nike+ Run Club app on my iPhone has a feature called "My Coach" that customizes a running schedule based on my pace. I would like to do the runs with my Apple Watch but I can't figure out how to get it to work. When I click start on the phone it only works if I run with the phone. If I hit start on my watch it just registers a regular run and not the one in the customized plan.

Posted on Oct 26, 2017 6:38 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2017 5:21 AM

I have the same issue. As far as I can tell, you cannot get "My Coach" to work on your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby. "Guided Runs" work on your Apple Watch alone if you download them beforehand.

I still watch to use the "My Coach" plans, so I use the following work-around:

1. Open the Nike+ Run Club App on your iPhone, go to the "My Coach" tab, and see what is scheduled for today

2. Start and complete a run using your Apple Watch (by itself) with the same settings as your scheduled run (i.e. distance, time, etc.)

3. When your run is complete, Open the Nike+ Run Club App on your iPhone again, go to the "History" tab, and select your recently completed run

The app will give you the option to "Assign this run to one of your planned activities:"

4. Select the scheduled run from your "My Coach" plan

"My Coach" will now recognize that you've completed a scheduled run and add it to your overview. I'm aware this isn't a 100% solution and that I'm losing some features, but it allows me to follow a "My Coach" workout plan (running with only my Apple Watch) and track my history on my iPhone.

Apple Watch Series 2, Version 4.1

iPhone X, Version 11.1.2

Nike+ Run Club, Version 5.10.0

User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

20 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2017 5:21 AM in response to erich6

I have the same issue. As far as I can tell, you cannot get "My Coach" to work on your Apple Watch without your iPhone nearby. "Guided Runs" work on your Apple Watch alone if you download them beforehand.

I still watch to use the "My Coach" plans, so I use the following work-around:

1. Open the Nike+ Run Club App on your iPhone, go to the "My Coach" tab, and see what is scheduled for today

2. Start and complete a run using your Apple Watch (by itself) with the same settings as your scheduled run (i.e. distance, time, etc.)

3. When your run is complete, Open the Nike+ Run Club App on your iPhone again, go to the "History" tab, and select your recently completed run

The app will give you the option to "Assign this run to one of your planned activities:"

4. Select the scheduled run from your "My Coach" plan

"My Coach" will now recognize that you've completed a scheduled run and add it to your overview. I'm aware this isn't a 100% solution and that I'm losing some features, but it allows me to follow a "My Coach" workout plan (running with only my Apple Watch) and track my history on my iPhone.

Apple Watch Series 2, Version 4.1

iPhone X, Version 11.1.2

Nike+ Run Club, Version 5.10.0

User uploaded file

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Oct 26, 2017 11:56 PM in response to erich6

Hi

I suggest that you consult Nike's support resources and/or contact Nike for assistance with questions and issues concerning the Nike+ Run Club app and its features in conjunction with Apple Watch:

Nike+ Run Club Support resources:

Contact Nike (support is offered by phone and via social media):

More information:

Oct 27, 2017 12:10 AM in response to erich6

The feature you're talking about is not yet available for Apple Watch.

On Watch when you swipe right you see recent activities and when you swipe left you see settings and on home face of NRC you see by default START and by scrolling down you'll see AUDIO GUIDED RUNS. That's it.

So only solution is to open MY COACH on phone and proceed.

Even when you're setting up Watch with NRC you'll see following steps where My Coach is not concerned.User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

Nov 26, 2017 2:37 AM in response to Kcam12345

It really is kind of pointless having a stand-alone Apple Watch 3 with cellular if you need to take your phone on runs. I am having the same issue. Just started a new “my coach” plan and can’t get the runs to display on the watch.

The workaround for adding the run manually or linking it after the run is fine, but when the prescribed run is more complicated (or intervals like 200m sprints x 7), or specific audio guided runs then there’s just no way to do it on the watch.

Has anyone found a solution yet?

Jan 11, 2018 2:04 PM in response to erich6

I also find it extremely annoying and frankly a massively overlooked feature. I have the Nike+ watch and was excited to ditch my phone during a run for a lighter device. Turns out, the "great" partnership between Apple and Nike has been mediocre at best. I am very disappointed at this point and frustrated with their lack of thought.

Nov 19, 2017 5:21 PM in response to erich6

Hi all- I see that my coach isn’t available but many of you reference downloading audio guided runs. How do I do this?? I have just purchased a series 3 cellular and gps watch but can’t seem to figure out how to access guided runs. When I scroll down, it just says ‘distance’ ‘duration’ and ‘speed’ but I have to set all of those and there is no audio throughout other than ‘beginning workout’. Any tips much appreciated!

Jan 11, 2018 3:06 PM in response to ahaller9

I just heard from Nike via twitter that the audio guided run on Apple Watch is not available in my location (Australia) and to keep an eye out on future updates in the app store although there is no current plan for it to become available in Australia... i don't understand why it would need to be restricted by location. Shame...

Feb 1, 2018 1:56 PM in response to tomeford

I've updated the app today and it started showing the list of audio guided runs. It does not show any from "my coach", so I can't really figure out how to download them. It's really frustrating to have to do the workaround to complete the program, it feels like the differentiating features didn't quite make it to the watch.

nike run club "my coach" feature and apple watch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.