Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I restore a deleted phone number?

I have an iPhone 7. I recently deleted a phone number I need. How do I get it back?

Posted on Oct 27, 2017 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2017 12:27 PM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities Laura.brown,

It looks like you've recently deleted a phone number from your iPhone that you wish to recover. If you're anything like me, accidentally deleting data you need is a fairly common occurrence, so I'm happy to help you out!

Recovering that deleted contact will depend on whether or not it was synced or backed up anywhere. If you currently sync your contacts with iCloud, you may be able to restore your contacts list to an earlier version that existed before that contact was deleted. If you decide to go this route, please keep in mind that there is a chance you could lose other contacts if there were any new contacts added to your iPhone after the date your contacts were last achieved in iCloud. It's a good idea to back up your iPhone prior to attempting to restore contacts: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch .

You can view more information on how to restore your contacts here: If you accidentally deleted your calendars, reminders, bookmarks, or contacts from iCloud , specifically this section:

Restore your contacts or bookmarks from an earlier version

1. Sign in to iCloud.com.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Scroll down and under Advanced, click Restore Contacts or Restore Bookmarks.
  4. Click Restore next to the date before you deleted the content.
  5. Click Restore again to confirm. After the restore completes, you'll get a notification on iCloud.com and an email to the address on file with your Apple ID.

If you don't sync your contacts with iCloud but you've backed up your iPhone to iTunes prior to deleting that contact, another option is to restore your iPhone from an iTunes backup. View steps on how to restore from a backup here: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup . It's important to mention that when you restore from an iTunes backup, the data currently on your iPhone would be replaced with the data currently in the backup. This means that anything that's been added to your iPhone since the backup date would be removed and may not be recoverable.

Outside of these two options, I'd recommend checking the following:
  • Call history in the Phone app.
  • Your Messages app for threads between you and that contact.
  • FaceTime call history.
  • Your contact lists on your email service providers website in case that phone number was ever synced/backed up there.
Let me know if you have any additional questions about any of the information I’ve provided.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 28, 2017 12:27 PM in response to Laura.brown

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities Laura.brown,

It looks like you've recently deleted a phone number from your iPhone that you wish to recover. If you're anything like me, accidentally deleting data you need is a fairly common occurrence, so I'm happy to help you out!

Recovering that deleted contact will depend on whether or not it was synced or backed up anywhere. If you currently sync your contacts with iCloud, you may be able to restore your contacts list to an earlier version that existed before that contact was deleted. If you decide to go this route, please keep in mind that there is a chance you could lose other contacts if there were any new contacts added to your iPhone after the date your contacts were last achieved in iCloud. It's a good idea to back up your iPhone prior to attempting to restore contacts: How to back up your iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch .

You can view more information on how to restore your contacts here: If you accidentally deleted your calendars, reminders, bookmarks, or contacts from iCloud , specifically this section:

Restore your contacts or bookmarks from an earlier version

1. Sign in to iCloud.com.
  2. Click Settings.
  3. Scroll down and under Advanced, click Restore Contacts or Restore Bookmarks.
  4. Click Restore next to the date before you deleted the content.
  5. Click Restore again to confirm. After the restore completes, you'll get a notification on iCloud.com and an email to the address on file with your Apple ID.

If you don't sync your contacts with iCloud but you've backed up your iPhone to iTunes prior to deleting that contact, another option is to restore your iPhone from an iTunes backup. View steps on how to restore from a backup here: Restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch from a backup . It's important to mention that when you restore from an iTunes backup, the data currently on your iPhone would be replaced with the data currently in the backup. This means that anything that's been added to your iPhone since the backup date would be removed and may not be recoverable.

Outside of these two options, I'd recommend checking the following:
  • Call history in the Phone app.
  • Your Messages app for threads between you and that contact.
  • FaceTime call history.
  • Your contact lists on your email service providers website in case that phone number was ever synced/backed up there.
Let me know if you have any additional questions about any of the information I’ve provided.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

How do I restore a deleted phone number?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.