Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth Linking Key High sierra

Hi so i just got my iMac and im loving it and i already have windows installed and i just have one issue and thats the Apple keyboard im using the old one because its a bit of an old mac and im trying to find the bluetooth linking key for high sierra but everywhere i checked said the same thing sudo defaults read /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/blued.plist but when i enter that all i get is

sh-3.2# sudo defaults read /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/blued.plist

2017-10-27 19:20:06.893 defaults[633:41754]

Domain /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/blued.plist does not exist

can anyone help me find the bluetooth pairing key for my Mac Please

iMac, iOS 11.0.3, Fresh Install

Posted on Oct 27, 2017 7:33 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 23, 2017 4:26 AM

Hi,

Use the folowing command to get linkkeys of your bluetooth devices in High Sierra.

$ sudo defaults read /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetoothd.plist

I spend a whole one day to notice this. ;-(

I wish that this helps not only you but also others who want to use same bluetooth device with multi-booted mac. :-)

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 23, 2017 4:26 AM in response to Thatoneusername

Hi,

Use the folowing command to get linkkeys of your bluetooth devices in High Sierra.

$ sudo defaults read /private/var/root/Library/Preferences/com.apple.Bluetoothd.plist

I spend a whole one day to notice this. ;-(

I wish that this helps not only you but also others who want to use same bluetooth device with multi-booted mac. :-)

Oct 29, 2017 7:20 AM in response to Thatoneusername

Initially, System Preferences : Bluetooth panel. √ Show Bluetooth in menu bar. Turn Bluetooth on.

With this Bluetooth panel up, switch off your Bluetooth keyboard, and then switch it back on again. It should be discovered, and appear in the Bluetooth Devices window with a pair button. Click the pair button, and you are good to go. You can also check the battery level of your Bluetooth keyboard from the menu bar, by selecting the Bluetooth symbol, and then passing your mouse over the Bluetooth keyboard name in that menu.

Anytime that you turn off your Bluetooth keyboard after shutting down your iMac, make certain that the keyboard is powered on before you boot the iMac again, or you will have to repeat the ritual in the second paragraph.

You should not run Terminal commands that you read about on the Internet unless you know exactly what they do. Just because something is posted does not make it current, or accurate information, and some things that you can type into the Terminal will completely ruin your day. Always ask here first.

Bluetooth Linking Key High sierra

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.