Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I login as Guest user from the username and password prompt?

I want to display the login window as name and password prompt (rather than list of users) for security. (See System Preferences > Login Options > "Display login window as".) However, I want to be able to offer friends use of the Guest user account, too. I've tried logging in using username "Guest"/"guest" and leaving password blank, but it doesn't work. What do I enter at that prompt to login as guest?

Answers to a similar question I found about what password to use for the guest account didn't actually answer that question. Rather, the solution was to disable and re-enable the guest account to get it to stop asking for password. That doesn't help in this case.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on Oct 28, 2017 2:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2017 1:44 PM

It should work (does here) with Guest, guest and Guest User; leaving password blank.

Based upon testing here : I'd try deleting com.apple.loginwindow.guest-account from Keychain Access : System (you might need to enter guest in the search box for it to be visible) while the Guest user is logged out, and Guest login disabled.

You'll have to provide an admin user name & password, and will probably get an invalid record or other error... but the entry should disappear anyway. A new one will be created when Guest logs in again.

You might consider this :

Hide a user account in macOS - Apple Support

along with a list of users at login : so that friends don't need to type anything, but your usual account(s) cannot be seen.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2017 1:44 PM in response to Terry_N

It should work (does here) with Guest, guest and Guest User; leaving password blank.

Based upon testing here : I'd try deleting com.apple.loginwindow.guest-account from Keychain Access : System (you might need to enter guest in the search box for it to be visible) while the Guest user is logged out, and Guest login disabled.

You'll have to provide an admin user name & password, and will probably get an invalid record or other error... but the entry should disappear anyway. A new one will be created when Guest logs in again.

You might consider this :

Hide a user account in macOS - Apple Support

along with a list of users at login : so that friends don't need to type anything, but your usual account(s) cannot be seen.

How do I login as Guest user from the username and password prompt?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.