Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Watch 3 shut down with 37% on battery?

Hello,

I just wanted to report that my new Apple Watch 3 GPS decided to shut down by itself with 37% battery left. I'm not sure why, but it's the first time it has done so. I was raising my wrist to see what time it was and it wasn't responding, so I pressed the crown and nothing. I had to press the power button to see the Apple icon go on and then I noticed it still had 37% battery left. I'm hoping it is a software issue and not related to hardware.

Thanks for reading.

Apple Watch Series 3, watchOS 4, 3.7 GB available out of 8GB total.

Posted on Oct 28, 2017 11:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2017 1:42 AM

Hi

It is not normal for your Apple Watch to turn off unexpectedly.

Whilst I can't say why that is happening, the following steps may help (check after each before moving on to the next):

If you have not yet done so, update both your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Close all apps and restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch (normally):

Unpair and re-pair your watch:

Remove apps and watch face complications:

If the issue then persists, I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2017 1:42 AM in response to Mark Yamamoto2

Hi

It is not normal for your Apple Watch to turn off unexpectedly.

Whilst I can't say why that is happening, the following steps may help (check after each before moving on to the next):

If you have not yet done so, update both your iPhone and Apple Watch to the latest software, starting with your iPhone:

Close all apps and restart both your iPhone and your Apple Watch (normally):

Unpair and re-pair your watch:

Remove apps and watch face complications:

If the issue then persists, I suggest that you contact Apple Support (remote diagnostics and/or mail-in service may be available, if required), make a Genius Bar reservation or visit an Apple Authorised Service Provider for assistance:

Oct 29, 2017 3:29 AM in response to Mark Yamamoto2

The same thing happened to me yesterday. It shouldn't happen, but it's probably a software issue. I remember this happening on my Series 0 Apple Watch in 2015 and 2016 with some versions of watchOS. There's a bug that will hopefully be fixed. If it starts happening a lot, follow the detailed instructions posted earlier in this thread by Jonathan UK. Hopefully this gets sorted out in watchOS 4.1 because it's annoying for sure.

Apple Watch 3 shut down with 37% on battery?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.