Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unsupported photo library...photos not opening...does anyone have a fix for mac High Sierra?

I tried opening my photos today and received this message, "Unsupported Library...The library "Photos Library" is from a newer version of Photos. Please upgrade Photos to open this library"

How do I upgrade Photos? I have gone to the app store, search preferences, and came up empty.

MacBook Air, iOS 11, beta

Posted on Oct 29, 2017 12:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2017 3:00 AM

Which version of MacOS X do you currently have installed?

The error message will be given if you opened a Photos Library in a newer version of Photos, perhaps a Beta version. If that happens, you have to upgrade your Mac to that same version of MaxOS X.

You will not see an update at the AppStore, if you are running an older major release of MacOS X, for example macOS 10.12.6 Sierra. There are no more macOS 10.12 updates. But you can upgrade by installing the new major release macOS 10.13 High Sierra. macOS High Sierra - Apple

The system upgrades are installed from the main page of the AppSTore, not the Updates tab.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2017 3:00 AM in response to 1badpj

Which version of MacOS X do you currently have installed?

The error message will be given if you opened a Photos Library in a newer version of Photos, perhaps a Beta version. If that happens, you have to upgrade your Mac to that same version of MaxOS X.

You will not see an update at the AppStore, if you are running an older major release of MacOS X, for example macOS 10.12.6 Sierra. There are no more macOS 10.12 updates. But you can upgrade by installing the new major release macOS 10.13 High Sierra. macOS High Sierra - Apple

The system upgrades are installed from the main page of the AppSTore, not the Updates tab.

Unsupported photo library...photos not opening...does anyone have a fix for mac High Sierra?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.