Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K and Dolby Vision content display in HDR with HDR10 TV?

I've got a Sony Bravia x930d that supports HDR10 but not Dolby Vision. When I find Stranger Things in Netflix on the built in (Android TV) Netflix app it says "HDR" and plays in HDR. When I find Stranger Things in Netflix on the AppleTV it says "Dolby Vision". My Apple TV is setup for HDR.

Question: When watching a show marked "Dolby Vision" in Netflix, will it display in HDR on my TV that only supports HDR10?

Similarly, if I find a movie in iTunes that says "Dolby Vision", will it be in HDR on my TV, even through my TV only supports HDR10?

Apple TV 4K, iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Oct 29, 2017 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 3, 2017 11:43 PM

I have a Samsung KS8500 and the Netflix app shows Stranger Things 2 and all other HDR content as “Dolby Vision” which my TV does not support. The quality looks posterized and tweaked out and is really sub-par. I’m thinking that we need to get Netflix to fix their app or something because I can get the HDR version when using the Tizen Netflix app built into tha smart TV features, but not on the Apple TV 4K Netflix app.

This is really disappointing.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 3, 2017 11:43 PM in response to Anonymoe

I have a Samsung KS8500 and the Netflix app shows Stranger Things 2 and all other HDR content as “Dolby Vision” which my TV does not support. The quality looks posterized and tweaked out and is really sub-par. I’m thinking that we need to get Netflix to fix their app or something because I can get the HDR version when using the Tizen Netflix app built into tha smart TV features, but not on the Apple TV 4K Netflix app.

This is really disappointing.

Nov 7, 2017 10:02 AM in response to Anonymoe

I have the same situation. I have a Samsung 4K HDR10 compatible TV (Samsung does not support the Dolby Vision 'standard') connected to the Apple TV 4K via HDMI.

When streaming Netflix content, over 100 Mbps Comcast internet service, I have no problem streaming shows like Breaking Bad (non-native Netflix 4K content) in 4K. The same holds true for all Netflix content that shows me an Ultravision 4K logo on the title screen for the film. If the content shows to be 4K on the title screen I see 4K quality on my TV.

If the content shows the Dolby Vision logo on the title screen and not the 4K logo, the stream looks like it is HD, or some resolution that is less sharp and brilliant than the resolution that I see when viewing content that shows a 4K logo on the title screen.

So, what does the Apple TV 4K device do with Dolby Vision format when sending it to a device like my Samsung which only supports the HDR10 standard? Also, is there a way to verify what format the Apple TV device is sending to my TV?

There is a bit more to this situation with regard to HDR10 & Dolby Vision Netflix streaming. Original Netflix content such as Stranger Things, Mindhunter, and all of the Marvel shows have, in the recent past (prior to the release of Stranger Things season 2), displayed the Utravision 4K logo on their title screens on my current setup. They also were streaming in eye-popping 4K. But now, all of the original Netflix offerings only show as Dolby Vision, and are in 4K resolution when they reach my TV. I had a long discussion with Netflix support about this and they could not explain what was happening.

Nov 21, 2017 12:14 AM in response to Sevallis

Same problem here

TV: Hisense 65XT910

Every HDR content shows the Dolby Vision icon. In some scenes the TV dims to dark and some scenes are normal. It seems that the apple tv tries to give dynamic contrast information to my tv with the result of low contrast and dim picture. Also some color banding is visible in some scenes ( Settings 4k 60Hz 4:2:0 )

The same with apple movies. A movie with dolby vision is too dark.

Nov 28, 2017 11:41 AM in response to Anonymoe

Same issue here with a Sony 900e. Dolby Vision stuff in Netflix looks dim and washed out. From what I can tell from my research so far, it seems like the Netflix app needs to be updated to intelligently switch between Dolby Vision and HDR 10 depending on what your TV can support. Even switching from Dolby Vision to SDR would be preferred over the sub-par picture quality I'm seeing now. I'm using Marvel's Punisher for my experimentation.

Dec 4, 2017 6:54 AM in response to oskarlandin-r

Same issue here with JS8500. When I use the Samsung Netflix app, the movies available in HDR show up as HDR. When I access via Apple TV, the same movies only show as Dolby Vision. Downloaded the latest beta of TVOS 11.2 which gives options for using native dynamic range of the content but it doesn't change that Netflix is only allowing to display Dolby Vision on the Apple TV. I've tried basically all settings and reset several times for each option I've tried. I hope they fix this quickly. Not a fan of the Samsung Netflix app...

Dec 28, 2017 4:45 PM in response to Anonymoe

Same here with sony x900e, that only supports HDR10 and not Dolby Vision.

However, it shows Dolby Vision badge on Apple TV’s Netflix, but HDR on TV’s native Netflix app.

Just noticed that the image contrast is far better when I stream the HDR Netflix content with the native app, maybe because it’s originaly being downloaded as HDR from Netflix’s server.

Anyone have managed to fix this? It’s quite annoying.

Jan 3, 2018 2:15 AM in response to Anonymoe

Hey and hello,

I have an Hisense 4K TV with HDR support. Dolby Vision ist NOT supported. I have the same issue.

When I going to stream an 4K HDR movie like Atomic Blonde, my TV jumps correctly to its HDR mode (in 24 frames).

In the movie there are some red and orange/yellow scenes and they looks so terrible. Its like the colors are broken or wrong.

Apple TV 4K and Dolby Vision content display in HDR with HDR10 TV?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.