Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using iPhone X with Belkin BOOSTUP

In short my question is: once Apple upgrades the iPhone X's firmware to 7.5W fast charging later this year, will the Belkin BOOSTUP 15W model charge it at 7.5W or be constrained to 5W?

Some background info/sources and reason for the question are below in case it's helpful ....

So in advance, apologies for the length of this, and many thanks for your thoughts and expertise .. In case it makes any difference to the technical stuff: I'm in the UK.

Apple has stated that, later this year, they'll be upgrading the iPhones 8, 8 Plus and X - which come with a 5W charging adapter in the box - with a software upgrade to enable 'fast charging' at 7.5W. They've also announced that these phones can be used with any Qi-standard third party fast chargers as long as you use a sufficiently powerful power adapter AND a USB to USB-C cable. (Qi-standard can now charge at up to 15W).

Belkin make 2 models of their fast wireless BOOSTUP charger, each of which (as I understand it) is supplied out of the box complete with adapter and cable for fast charging.

One was issued, I think in Jan this year, which can fast charge at up to 15W, silver and black, and is marketed as BOOST↑UP Wireless Charging Pad for Samsung. Their web page at http://www.belkin.com/uk/p/P-F7U014/says:

POWERED UP TO 15W

The Boost Up Wireless Charging Pad supports the latest Qi standard enabling wireless charging up to 15W. For smartphones and tablets that are Qi enabled and support 15W, this is the fastest wireless charging solution possible.

To accompany the new iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X, a new white one has now been issued which is 7.5W, marketed as BOOST↑UP Wireless Charging Pad for iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8

Apple mentioned this charger in their keynote and is selling this model in their stores and online, saying it's 'specially optimised for' iPhones 8, 8 Plus and X. However, Belkin's site says these phones are also 'compatible with' the 15W charger.

Assuming that eventually Apple will upgrade their phones to the current Qi standard of 15W (whether that be the X or a future year's model), I'd prefer to future-proof my wireless charger purchase as far as is possible. I appreciate that any charger will only charge the iPhone at whatever max speed the phone is capable of). However, apart from the max speed, price, colour and a small difference in the power adapters (Power Supply (15V, 20W) for the 7.5W model; (12V/2A, 24W) for the 15W model, I can't see any difference between the two Belkin models. Amazon UK has a chart comparing different models (scroll to the bottom): goo.gl/GCK3Cf. There, for "with iPhone X/8 Plus/8" it states for the 7.5 model "5W (iOS update pending to enable 7.5W charging)" . But for the 15W model, under the same heading - instead of repeating that info as I expected - it simply says "5W".

That makes no sense to me, but then again, I don't understand the tech stuff. Does "tuned to iPhone" simply mean in the 7.5W model that it matches the planned max speed of the phone, or are there other reasons why it would be better for the iPhone to go for a 7.5W than 15W model?

Can anyone who understands these things better than me throw any light on this matter please? Any help will be very much appreciated!

Thanks in anticipation.

Jackie

iPhone X, iOS 11.0.3, with Belkin 15W wireless charger

Posted on Oct 29, 2017 3:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 29, 2017 3:58 PM

The answer is you will be fine with the Belkin Boost up. Once Apple updates the software on iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X to fast charging, you will have a charger up to the task. You don't need to limit the QI charger output to 7.5 watt. The phone won't know whether the charger is 7.5 Watt or 20 Watt. It will just charge at the rate the software inside the phone permits.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 29, 2017 3:58 PM in response to Jacqueline A

The answer is you will be fine with the Belkin Boost up. Once Apple updates the software on iPhone 8, 8 Plus and X to fast charging, you will have a charger up to the task. You don't need to limit the QI charger output to 7.5 watt. The phone won't know whether the charger is 7.5 Watt or 20 Watt. It will just charge at the rate the software inside the phone permits.

Oct 29, 2017 4:04 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Thank you so very much, that's great. I appreciate the speed of your response too. I absolutely thought that would be the case as nothing else makes logical sense. But both the chart on Amazon UK indicating the 15W charger will only charge the iPhone at 5W after the software upgrade, and the same chart showing the 7.5W charger will, at the same point in time, charge it at 7.5W, together with the marketing blurb titles suggesting one is somehow specifically 'tuned for' iPhone and the other for Samsung phones is rather confusing to an ordinary person!

Thank you so very much for your clarification. This means that, for a smaller cost, I can a) get a black charger which will suit my living room better ⚠ and, more importantly, b) future-proof the purchase against Apple upgrading the 7.5W speed limit going forwards. Delighted!

Jackie

Nov 5, 2017 1:00 PM in response to Jacqueline A

In the hope it will help other iPhone 8/8 Plus/X users, some updated information: I have now taken delivery of the Belkin Boost-up wireless Qi charger (the 15W, labelled "for Samsung" model) .

If onlythe marketing blurb said what it says unequivocally on the box, there would have been no doubt that it will eventually work faster than 5W with the iPhone 8/8Plus/X. The box says (as you rightly indicated rbrylawki): "maximum wireless charging speed is based on the maximum allowed by your device".

As Apple has said its products will work with all certified third-party Qi chargers, and endorses the Belkin brand by selling the less powerful model in its "Town Squares", I feel confident, therefore, that when they update the wireless charge-capable iPhones to 7.5W later this year (and possibly, later, up to 10/15W), this charger will be able to charge them at their maximum speed, up to 15W. It kinda seems obvious in retrospect and I feel foolish! - except when they label them respectively "optimised for Apple" (the 7.5W) and "optimised for Samsung" (the 15W it obfuscates, a bit.

Thanks again rbrylawski, for your brilliant help in solving this riddle.

Nov 5, 2017 1:35 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Yes - they said 'this year' and there's not much of it left, so hopefully soon! I am so impressed with wireless charging that I'm planning to buy some more for other rooms (... although am waiting till Black Friday!!). Good to know you are happy with your Senseo stands, I plan to buy a stand one for my desk, so will take a look at these! Enjoy -again, with gratitude.

Using iPhone X with Belkin BOOSTUP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.