Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My Downloaded files do not show in Finder

Hi,

Many a times, when I download the files, it does not show up in Finder. However, when I do listing of directory from terminal window, it is shown.

I am not able to figure out why.

Ajays-ED-Mac:Desktop ajaybansal$ ls -ltr

total 1144

-rwxr--r--@ 1 ajaybansal
staff
13881 Oct 27 11:12 Critic Rating Icon.png

-rw-r--r--@ 1 ajaybansal
staff 7995 Oct 27 11:16 Critic Rating Icon.jpg

-rwxr--r--
1 ajaybansal
staff
10097 Oct 27 16:14 query_result.csv

drwxr-xr-x
2 ajaybansal
staff 64 Oct 27 16:15 ajay

-rwxr--r--@ 1 ajaybansal
staff
545601 Oct 30 09:47 Screen Shot 2017-10-30 at 9.47.39 AM.png

Cant take screenshot of Finder Window becaue of following reasons.

I think since I have upgraded my Mac to 10.13, my file system has been corrupted. Here are few things I noticed

1. Even after i empty trash, files keep showing in trash (though they have been removed).

2. When I take a screenshot (save to desktop), saved screenshot doesnt show up in Finder window, however it shows up in recents.cannedsearch. If I click on it, it says - original item can not be found.

Please suggest what can be done.

-Ajay

MacBook Air, macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Oct 30, 2017 3:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 16, 2017 12:07 PM

This is REAL and a very annoying bug that was present in previous OS versions, too, Sierra for sure and (I believe) El Capitan as well. I was hoping it would be fixed in High Sierra but is not. I see it on three three different Macs and always when the computer has not been booted for at least several days. It does not happen often but it is very irritating when it does. Sometimes I go months without seeing it, but then it happens and a reboot recovers the files that cannot be seen in Finder. I have not tried restarting Finder but next time it happens I will try shell command (from Terminal)

killall Finder

It is surprising to me that there is not more discussion of this annoying rarely occurring bug seen with downloads from Sierra and (I believe) other browsers. Appears to me there is some rarely-tickled issue it a display cache somewhere.

The files are there for sure as you can see from the overwrite prompt and the visibility upon reboot. On at least one occasion a simple logout/login did not make the files visible...

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 16, 2017 12:07 PM in response to Ajay0277in

This is REAL and a very annoying bug that was present in previous OS versions, too, Sierra for sure and (I believe) El Capitan as well. I was hoping it would be fixed in High Sierra but is not. I see it on three three different Macs and always when the computer has not been booted for at least several days. It does not happen often but it is very irritating when it does. Sometimes I go months without seeing it, but then it happens and a reboot recovers the files that cannot be seen in Finder. I have not tried restarting Finder but next time it happens I will try shell command (from Terminal)

killall Finder

It is surprising to me that there is not more discussion of this annoying rarely occurring bug seen with downloads from Sierra and (I believe) other browsers. Appears to me there is some rarely-tickled issue it a display cache somewhere.

The files are there for sure as you can see from the overwrite prompt and the visibility upon reboot. On at least one occasion a simple logout/login did not make the files visible...

My Downloaded files do not show in Finder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.