You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APFS + EXFAT + MacOSE on 4TB ext HDD BAD idea

I upgrade my MacBook pro to 10.13 (17A405) and have formatted and partitioned my newly bought 4TB external Seagate Backup Plus with GUID Partition Map as follows:

1. 2TB APFS for Lightroom and Photos libraries

2. 1TB Mac OS Extended for Time machine

3. 1TB ExFat for files and transfer

User uploaded file

Now I am

1. Dealing with a crazy slow APFS partition and while I am writing this message I have to wait another 21 hours to simply copy a 200 GB photos library from the APFS drive to ExFat...

2. If I want to disconnect this drive I need to turn off my Mac or it won't eject / unmount.

3. I don't know why it is so super slow, it takes between 5 to 20 minutes after connecting this drive to my laptop for the system to recognize and mount the APFS drive.

I don't know what I can do to improve it, so any advice is welcome.

I will consider a reformat of the drive after I have managed to copy the photos library to another drive, however now 21 hours just became 22 hours......

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13), null

Posted on Oct 30, 2017 2:46 AM

There are no replies.

APFS + EXFAT + MacOSE on 4TB ext HDD BAD idea

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.