Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Limitations of Garageband ? [Mac]

I want to Produce Music in GarageBand and I am Planning to buy a Mac Mini

and my question is that is there any limitations for GarageBand

(i know it is free)

like no. of drummer tracks

(or)

minimum no. of fx on a channel ?

p.s

thx

GarageBand (Mac) '11

Posted on Oct 30, 2017 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2017 6:44 AM

IcyPopsicle wrote:

no. of drummer tracks

you can have 6 "Drummer" tracks, but of course you could convert any of those to straight MIDI tracks (i think that number is 64)

IcyPopsicle wrote:

minimum no. of fx on a channel track?

Umm, the minimum would be 0

did you mean maximum?

each track can use 15 plug-ins (and then the Master Track can utilize another 15; this affects all tracks)

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2017 6:44 AM in response to IcyPopsicle

IcyPopsicle wrote:

no. of drummer tracks

you can have 6 "Drummer" tracks, but of course you could convert any of those to straight MIDI tracks (i think that number is 64)

IcyPopsicle wrote:

minimum no. of fx on a channel track?

Umm, the minimum would be 0

did you mean maximum?

each track can use 15 plug-ins (and then the Master Track can utilize another 15; this affects all tracks)

Oct 30, 2017 10:54 AM in response to HangTime

Exactly, think of GarageBand as Logic Light (or maybe "Logic Very Light").

The main limitation, in my opinion, is that GarageBand doesn't have a Mixer, and the routing is kind of mysteriously happen behind the Smart Controls. The funny thing is that if you use the (free) Logic Remote app on iOS as with GarageBand as a control surface, then voila, you have a mixer like in Logic Pro.

Apple makes it very easy if you decide to upgrade from GarageBand to Logic. You can turn off the advanced features so you are not overwhelmed with too much new stuff. It even gives you the familiar wood panels on the side and the same buttons on the Track Header.

User uploaded file

Hope that helps

EdgarRothermich - LogicProGEM.com

(Author of the "Graphically Enhanced Manuals")

http://DingDingMusic.com/Manuals/

'I may receive some form of compensation, financial or otherwise, from my recommendation or link.'

Oct 30, 2017 6:54 AM in response to IcyPopsicle

IcyPopsicle wrote:

thx it helped me and do u know what is the difference btw logic and GarageBand?

GB is a subset of Logic; GB is very easy to learn and use right away whereas Logic (which offers hundreds of more advanced features) has a much steeper learning curve. the guts of both apps are the same; GB has a simplified UI on top of the Logic engine.

Limitations of Garageband ? [Mac]

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.