Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

windows 10 itunes login fails

I recently installed iTunes 12.7 on a new HP Omen PC (Intel i7-7700, 12G RAM, Windows 10 Pro v1709 Build 16299.19)

On the first start of iTunes after installation, I am asked to enter my password three times.

On any subsequent start, I am asked to enter my password the first time, there is a pause and then the modal box for password partially appears - blank except for the word iTunes in the upper left and the word 'password' in the usual area which is flickering.

iTunes must be stopped using Task Manager.

To restore iTunes, I have to 'repair' or uninstall and re-install at which iTunes is once more good for one start only.

Tom

Windows 10, login freezes

Posted on Oct 30, 2017 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 17, 2017 7:31 AM

I had this same problem. Uninstalling/reinstalling itunes did not work.

Finally I disconnected from internet and launched itunes. The flickering window did not appear.

Then I used the top menu 'Account/Sign Out'

Then I signed back in and the password screen worked normally.

All seems to work now.

8 replies

Nov 3, 2017 2:16 PM in response to jgb2020

Found in another thread, a workaround to get iTunes open.

Press ctrl and shift and double click iTunes to start iTunes in safe mode. A box pops up saying visual plug-ins will be disabled. Doing this, I can put in the passwords and iTunes will function.

Now, how do I identify what visual plug-ins I have so that they can be fixed/deleted? Well -iTunes for Windows: Install plug-ins

So I looked in those directories, and I have no plug ins though I do have an empty plug in folder. I deleted that folder and after closing and reopening, it may be working normally.

I say may because I have not rebooted the computer nor tried to sync any devices.

Nov 3, 2017 1:43 PM in response to tjp1972

I am having the exact same problem with Windows 7.

I have uninstalled all the Apple programs, and reinstalled iTunes only, and if I disconnect internet I can function in iTunes. However, with internet connected it asks for password, I enter it. Window asks again for password, I enter it. Window asking for password pops up again, but is largely blank and flickering. Must do ctl-alt-del to close in task manager.

windows 10 itunes login fails

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.