Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

APFS partition disappeared

Hi all,

I converted a partition on an external disk (HDD) from encrypted HFS+ to APFS (bad mistake 😟).

After some days the partition became read-only and during the backup, it completely disappeared.

FSCK_APFS fails to rebuild.

Here follows some information on the disk from diskutils list:

/dev/disk6 (external, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *2.0 TB disk6

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB disk6s1

2: Apple_APFS Container disk7 1.0 TB disk6s2

3: Apple_APFS Container disk8 999.7 GB disk6s3

/dev/disk7 (synthesized):

0: APFS Container Scheme - +ERROR disk7

Physical Store disk6s2

/dev/disk8 (synthesized):

0: APFS Container Scheme - +999.7 GB disk8

Physical Store disk6s3

1: APFS Volume macbookpro-tm 914.5 GB disk8s1

The partition disk6s2 is marked as +ERROR in size field.

The APFS Volume is not even shown anymore (it was named macbookpro-external)

When I try to perform fsck_apfs this is the result:

#> fsck_apfs -n /dev/disk7

** Checking volume.

** Checking the container superblock.

** Checking the EFI jumpstart record.

** Checking the space manager.

** Checking the object map.

** Checking the APFS volume superblock.

** Checking the object map.

error: (oid 0x148e92) om: btn: invalid o_type (0x40000002)

Object map is invalid.

** The volume /dev/disk7 could not be verified completely.

Any hint to avoid data loss?

Cheers,

Luke

P.S.:

The external disk has no hardware fault or errors. I checked the SMART metadata, performed the tests

(short and long) and performed a search for bad sectors (no bad blocks found).

It's a perfectly healthy disk with still a long life ahead.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13), APFS data corruption

Posted on Oct 30, 2017 5:00 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 30, 2017 5:21 PM

If you boot from the Recovery Drive, you might be able to do some repairs with Disk Utility from Recovery, but I suspect you will need to erase the drive and revert to HFS+ Mac OS Extended Journaled formatting.

APFS on external rotational drives is not a good idea at this time. APFS is mainly for SSD drives. Time Machine won't even run on APFS at this time.

If it's possible to copy off the data to another drive, you might be able to change the RO to Read & Write. Once you save your data, reformatting the partition would be the next step.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way about APFS. In the future always backup data before trying something new.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 30, 2017 5:21 PM in response to luca0x4c

If you boot from the Recovery Drive, you might be able to do some repairs with Disk Utility from Recovery, but I suspect you will need to erase the drive and revert to HFS+ Mac OS Extended Journaled formatting.

APFS on external rotational drives is not a good idea at this time. APFS is mainly for SSD drives. Time Machine won't even run on APFS at this time.

If it's possible to copy off the data to another drive, you might be able to change the RO to Read & Write. Once you save your data, reformatting the partition would be the next step.

Sorry you had to learn the hard way about APFS. In the future always backup data before trying something new.

Oct 30, 2017 6:06 PM in response to dianeoforegon

thank you dianeoforegon!

Thanking God I always do a backup on a daily basis so I have most of the disk content.

I was just unlucky since the day of the partition damage I moved 30GB of files on it from a friend's machine, to save space (mostly photos).

I learned the hard way, but frankly speaking, I do not expect this kind of behaviour from production products.

Even NTFS, at its release, was more stable.

It seems that fsck_apfs is unable to fix most of the problems that can arise with the new file system.

Moreover, it would have been very wise for Apple to block conversion to APFS for HDD (or even make a disclaimer to warn users that the conversion is NOT advisable for HDD disks).

For what concerns the partition, sadly the Volume is not visible anymore and the repair on partition fails also with Disk Utility from recovery ( I think that nothing change, it's the same fsck_apfs tool ).

What is waiting for Apple to release the specs of the file system? Maybe third part utilities could release their new version of repair tools (e.g. DiskWarrior)...

APFS partition disappeared

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.