Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can’t create a preboot volume for APFS to install

I wanted to start fresh with my Mac,so i put it in recovery mode and erased the storage.Unfortunately,I think i’ve done more bad than good.After i restarted it,a slashed circle would appear.I tried to reinstall the MacOS,but after downloading it says that it was unable to create a preboot volume for APFS to install.What can I do now ?

Thanks in advance!

Posted on Oct 30, 2017 10:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2017 4:04 AM

Two methods:

In the internet recovery (CMD+R) format the disk as HFS+,

then install High Sierra again (it should run on that), and it will convert to APFS automatically on the boot SSD.

OR

in the Internet Recovery Partition (CMD+R+Alt/option) select "install OS".

it will install the original OS.

You then have to upgrade the OS. If that is High Sierra it will automatically convert the boor SSD during the upgrade.

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2017 4:04 AM in response to raduRadu

Two methods:

In the internet recovery (CMD+R) format the disk as HFS+,

then install High Sierra again (it should run on that), and it will convert to APFS automatically on the boot SSD.

OR

in the Internet Recovery Partition (CMD+R+Alt/option) select "install OS".

it will install the original OS.

You then have to upgrade the OS. If that is High Sierra it will automatically convert the boor SSD during the upgrade.

Jan 16, 2018 5:09 AM in response to raduRadu

If you have a MacBook Pro 2017 /w High Sierra and try to reinstall High Sierra via Recovery Mode then it will not work due to the APFS partition type. For some reason you cannot change the partition type to anything else besides APFS so you are basically stuck recovering starting with Sierra.

I've seen some ways of doing this using diskutil to recreate the partition and I tried them all. Nothing worked for me as I was getting errors about the volume and partition were already in use. I'm sure there is a way but I tried for some time and nothing worked.

WHAT DOES WORK .... Delete the partition and install Sierra (not High Sierra) from web or USB stick.

Check out this help topic which saved my bacon...

https://thewebb.blog/thoughts/2017/apfs-preboot-volume-woes

NOTE: If you have a MacBook Pro 2017 and try the internet install and get a -3404F error then create USB Sierra installer (https://lifehacker.com/how-to-make-a-bootable-macos-sierra-usb-flash-drive-17868 53248), plug it into the USB port (You'll need a USB 2.0 -> USB-C adapter), hold down option while booting up and you'll be able to boot from the USB stick.

Jan 30, 2018 11:51 AM in response to raduRadu

I‘m dealing with the same problem. I wanted to have a fresh and new start but I caused more damage than doing something good I guess. I got a brand new Mac Book Pro Retina and wanted to start by transferring my backup from my LaCie hard drive (which, like you all know, is definitely compatible with Apple products). So far so good. I did my transfer but my mbp kept asking for the password. Annoying. Okay.

Next problem: I had two accounts with different names. Silvia and SilviaNew. I wanted to delete Silvia, since SilviaNew was admin and Silvia was Standard. Didn’t work. Couldn’t click the minus. Suuuuper frustrating. So that’s when I had the super great idea to start from scratch again aaaand I failed.

The major problem that I have right now: I‘m trying to connect to my WiFi, but I’m still getting the same error. I went to the Apple store and there was no technician. He said that I might get the error code since it’s a public network that they have. Super great... it would work when I’m at home he said.

So I basically payed more than 2K and end up with nothing but a mess. How is that helping me? It’s not helping at all and I’m about to lose my mind since I have to wait for another day where I’ll possibly get not help at all. Well thank you Apple. The working hours for the hotline support are ridiculous. People have to go to work. Like when should I call?!

Apr 10, 2018 6:21 PM in response to psk1987

Doesn't anybody see haw bad this is. Apple are just idiots. I have formatted my 1Tb Drive, timemachine restored my backup (600Gb) and, because APFS is the way forward, ie. optimised for SSD, converted to APFS. So I now get the Can't create preboot volumke for APFS to install.

After hours of getting everything up to spec, the absolute crap that Apple has out there fails and I can only now reformat my drive back, reinstall macOS on HFS+ and contemplate converting, but not actually convert. Look at the number of issues raised in these forums reporting this problem, it is an absolute disgrace. I know companies like Apple are just revenue gathering organisations, but you'd think they could at least get the basics right. Talk about unfit for purpose.

I haven't seen a solution to this problem yet and it's been literally months since it started being reported and you all think it's OK to keep wiping your drives and starting again? How about stopping stuffing around with emojis of crap and actually putting some effort into your desktop software?

Can’t create a preboot volume for APFS to install

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.