Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't sync videos from photos app to the very iPhone that took em

Hi there,

first of all I don't use iCloud and never did for syncing etc.

I use iTunes for all syncing.

When I sync my photos via iTunes that are stored in the apples photos library then the photos get synced fine, but the videos I took with the very same iPhone that I want to sync them back onto are not being synced and I get the error message:

Some of the videos in your iTunes library, including "IMG_9999.MOV", were not copied to the iPhone "xyz iPhone" because they cannot be played on this iPhone.

This is the same iPhone that just took the video and now I can't sync it back onto it, because it can't be played?

The same video plays just fine within the photos app.

I already deleted the ipod photo cache as some suggested, but this didn't fix it...

Any ideas much appreciated!

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13), iTunes 12.7, iPhone 7 + iOS 11.0.3

Posted on Oct 31, 2017 3:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 15, 2017 1:38 AM

Hey Rob, thanks for your detailed response! Much appreciated....

However, I have figured out now whats wrong with it... without a solution though...

So, here we go, plain and simple:

Using any device that was released after September (iPhone 8, iPhone 8 plus and iPhone X) - iTunes will sync HEVC just fine. However, anything released prior this, will only sync HEIF (the new photo format).

Apple confirms on their support page for these formats (Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support) that almost any device (6 onwards) will support them (when having iOS11) - obviously not for making the HEVC vids... but for play back. As I work in the Dev Department of a big Telco I tried with iOS 11 and two different (one new, one existing) photo and itunes libraries on 2 different macs with High Sierra - iPhone 6, 6s plus, 7, 7 plus, ipad pro, ipad air 2 and iPhone 8, 8 plus, and finally iPhone X and can confirm that only the last 3 devices allow syncing HEVC via iTunes... Apple has simply forgotten to implement this feature for older devices into iTunes 12.7.... its ridiculous.... just like years ago when they removed usb tethering driver from iTunes by accident.... If I'd release stuff like this I get fired.... Anywho enough rambling... I will send this of to apple now and hope somebody freaking fixes this....

Cheers

Pat

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 15, 2017 1:38 AM in response to riffraf

Hey Rob, thanks for your detailed response! Much appreciated....

However, I have figured out now whats wrong with it... without a solution though...

So, here we go, plain and simple:

Using any device that was released after September (iPhone 8, iPhone 8 plus and iPhone X) - iTunes will sync HEVC just fine. However, anything released prior this, will only sync HEIF (the new photo format).

Apple confirms on their support page for these formats (Using HEIF or HEVC media on Apple devices - Apple Support) that almost any device (6 onwards) will support them (when having iOS11) - obviously not for making the HEVC vids... but for play back. As I work in the Dev Department of a big Telco I tried with iOS 11 and two different (one new, one existing) photo and itunes libraries on 2 different macs with High Sierra - iPhone 6, 6s plus, 7, 7 plus, ipad pro, ipad air 2 and iPhone 8, 8 plus, and finally iPhone X and can confirm that only the last 3 devices allow syncing HEVC via iTunes... Apple has simply forgotten to implement this feature for older devices into iTunes 12.7.... its ridiculous.... just like years ago when they removed usb tethering driver from iTunes by accident.... If I'd release stuff like this I get fired.... Anywho enough rambling... I will send this of to apple now and hope somebody freaking fixes this....

Cheers

Pat

Nov 17, 2017 11:07 AM in response to tingletanglebob

I have the exact same issue. Ever since upgrading to iOS 11, any video I take with the iPhone will not sync back to the phone after I import it to the computer. They play fine after I take the videos on my phone, but they do not sync back.

I also sync everything through iTunes and don't want to use iCloud Photo Library. It must be an HEVC issue. Someone please help!

Nov 21, 2017 10:04 PM in response to greekappi

Hi greekappi,

may I ask if you had at some point iTunes 12.6.3 installed (the version that supports iOS11 that enabled App Store again)? This is what I did and I have the feeling (despite reinstalling 12.7 on top of 12.6.3 and also despite reinstalling High Sierra) the installation of 12.6.3 screwed with the HEVC support. I haven't found a solution as of yet though... Perhaps there is somebody here who can tell us which library folders need to be checked to establish HEVC itunes sync support without the "cannot be played on this iPhone message".

Dec 2, 2017 7:12 PM in response to tingletanglebob

Hello TT Bob,

I have this same issue. I think it's something Apple will need to fix. It definitely involves HEVC videos.

As a temporary work around, if you really want those videos on your phone now, this worked for me:

1. Export the videos to a folder on your desktop

2. Drag and drop that folder onto iTunes to import them

3. Make a playlist of the newly imported videos

4. Set iTunes "Movies" sync settings to "Include Movies from Playlists," and make sure your new playlist is checked.

5. Sync your phone

6. Look in the TV app on your phone in Home Movies

*The artwork may be completely mungged - mine showed as a Glen Campbell album - but the video plays fine. If this really bothers you, you can go back into iTunes, set poster frames for each wrong artwork video and sync again. I had to do this several times before the fix took

*This is really kludgey and results in you having 3 copies of big files on your computer… one in Photos, one on your desktop, and one in iTunes, which is why I recommend the playlist. Once imported to iTunes you can delete the desktop folder, and once Apple fixes the issue, we'll be able to delete the files in iTunes and sync them from Photos normally, I hope.

*You can go in to Settings>Camera>Formats on the iPhone and choose "Most Compatible" and the video syncing should resume just fine. Once Apple fixes this, I think we'll all be happier with the HEVC format.

*I'm not deleting the movies from Photos because I believe that ultimately we are going to want the HEVC versions of the movies. If you don't care about that, you could go one more step and delete the HEVC movies from Photos and re-import the movies that iTunes converted to H.264 when you imported them.

[Just in case anyone from Apple happens to see this, I need to say that even as a die hard Apple fanboy since 1982, I find the sloppiness you guys are showing in the last few weeks to be heartbreaking… and inexcusable given the premium we all pay for Apple products that are supposed to "just work."]

Rob

Jan 15, 2018 4:07 PM in response to tingletanglebob

I too am having problems syncing. For some reason iTunes won't sync my home recorded videos. I'm not sure if its because they're MPEG-2 videos or what. I was syncing via iCloud but ran into bandwidth problems so I decided to switch to iTunes syncing. iTunes will sync all my photos so I know I have everything set up correctly for iTunes syncing. If anyone here could offer any advice I would greatly appreciate it or possible point me in the right direction.

iTunes won't sync videos from photos app to the very iPhone that took em

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.