Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no oneโ€™s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac mini wont turn on after power outage

So, I turned off the electricity in the entire place to fix something but I forgot that my Mac Mini was on. When I turned the electricity back on, my mac mini wont start. I tried:

• Removing all of the cables plugged in it
  • I tested the wall outlet, there's an electricity there
  • I've clicked on the power button for 10 seconds, nothing happened
  • The led light is not on
  • There's no sound indicating that it's starting

I don't know what to do. It was working before that. Perfectly fine, now its not turning on. I have a new set of RAM installed (couple months ago) and an SSD instead of the typical HD. It's the 2012 Mac mini.

Any advices??

Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Oct 31, 2017 6:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 31, 2017 7:12 AM

I have had the same problem. I had a power failure a while back and from then onwards it iOS a nightmare to start the computer. The last time it took a bout 4 days to restart it.

The way I have managed to restart it was to leave the computer unplugged overnight and then press command+alt+p+r in addition to pressing the power button. If nothing happens unplug from the wall for at least 5 minutes. and do it all over again. occasionally you will see a light blinking and then go. regardless do the instruction again

You may then see the start up sound coming on. in this instance wait until the gray bar completes or it fails again. or the fan going full blast. either way let it start until it either stops and the computer crashes or if the fun is going full blast and you may have the start up screen if this is the case click on restart (DO NOT CLICK ON SHUT DOWN OR SWITCH THE PC OFF).. Imagine I did this for 4 days until it started initially the gray bar would go half way and then it would crash or the fan would come full blast. I persevered over and over again until at one moment the gray bar went all the way to stat the computer. I have not switched it off since.

what I think the problem is.

The EFI firmware on the pram has been corrupted and the instruction to start the computer is not being properly executed. EFI firmware is the same as the BIOS on a windows machine

I have asked for some help on this forum since the efi for my computer is not compatible with osX sierra that I am using and I am waiting for instructions..

I hope it helps and good luck

Leslie

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 31, 2017 7:12 AM in response to LunarWalk

I have had the same problem. I had a power failure a while back and from then onwards it iOS a nightmare to start the computer. The last time it took a bout 4 days to restart it.

The way I have managed to restart it was to leave the computer unplugged overnight and then press command+alt+p+r in addition to pressing the power button. If nothing happens unplug from the wall for at least 5 minutes. and do it all over again. occasionally you will see a light blinking and then go. regardless do the instruction again

You may then see the start up sound coming on. in this instance wait until the gray bar completes or it fails again. or the fan going full blast. either way let it start until it either stops and the computer crashes or if the fun is going full blast and you may have the start up screen if this is the case click on restart (DO NOT CLICK ON SHUT DOWN OR SWITCH THE PC OFF).. Imagine I did this for 4 days until it started initially the gray bar would go half way and then it would crash or the fan would come full blast. I persevered over and over again until at one moment the gray bar went all the way to stat the computer. I have not switched it off since.

what I think the problem is.

The EFI firmware on the pram has been corrupted and the instruction to start the computer is not being properly executed. EFI firmware is the same as the BIOS on a windows machine

I have asked for some help on this forum since the efi for my computer is not compatible with osX sierra that I am using and I am waiting for instructions..

I hope it helps and good luck

Leslie

Nov 3, 2017 5:40 AM in response to LunarWalk

๐Ÿ™‚

Yeah.. I am not that patient either. I used the weekend to do it evenings until very very late (or very, very early depending how you look at it ๐Ÿ˜ ). But there was no choice.. Either that or bin it.. and a new one equal to mine is another 1000 at least..

It is really hard work

Anyway

Once you have managed to get the computer run

install the update for your computer. Here are the latest updates for a mac mini. (this was the one I installed in my computer). The one bellow is a generic good for all computer and the one I have used.. My computer is now running like a dream (touch wood.. so far)

Security Update 2017-001 macOS Sierra

Good luck and all the best

Leslie

Oct 31, 2017 7:19 AM in response to LunarWalk

My pleasure I hope it works.. Mine was like this for a few months since the power failure. It gradually became worse. Until the last time. I always used the procedure that I told you about (one needs to be very drextous because you need nearly 3 hands to do it 4 buttons separated plus power button is not easy..

Anyway good luck

Leslie

Nov 3, 2017 3:53 AM in response to Lemas

Well, the tech guy has difficulties. He said that the power cord was fine, but it just doesnt start. The fan doesn't start, nothing really starts. Which is a bad sign. He said that he'd give it another try but if he can't he'll refer me to another colleague of his if he can't figure it out. I'd have to pick it up later today.

I read your advices, but the problem is that maybe it's a hardware problem, something broke down due the outage or something, I have no idea. If he can't figure it out, I'd try what you said, but I have serious doubts. I really love that machine, I recently upgraded it and it was great.

Nov 3, 2017 4:15 AM in response to LunarWalk

I am sorry to hear of your problem.

But I have to tell you, and I am very sorry to say to you, I knew your guy would not solve the problem.

Anyway

The issue is that your EFI firmware has been changed for some reason or the other (I believe the efi that is there is corrupt or the wrong one. When I investigated mine that was there was for a i5 mother board yet my machine is a i7). My computer behaved exactly the same as your. IT WAS DEAD. No lights nothing.. nothing .. nothing was working..

The solution is the one I told you above. Well it worked for me but it took 4 days to get it restarted. Then I managed to reset the EFI with a new installation and a further final version that just came out this past weekend. IT IS NOW WORKING PERFECTLY.

in addition to the instructions I gave you in my previous message I bought a wifi wall plug that I could switch of and on from my mobile telephone so that when I was pressing the 4 buttons + the power button I could still (if the phone was close enough to my hand that was close to the computer power button still press the iPhone button that would switch on the the wall wifi wall plug)..

It is possible that your computer is really dead but I seriously doubt it. I believe there is really absolutely nothing wrong with your computer other then what I told you about.

However.. If you want to try the way I told you about then .. You need a lot of patience to try and fix it. Its will not work other wise.. When I mean patience I really do mean patience.. I tried it over and over again some 200 times during a period of 4 days.. I knew I had to try and restart the computer since I had, once that happens, to change the EFI.

If you hear the fan going crazy fast.. ITS A GOOD SIGN..

If you see a lights blinking. thats a good sign..

When you have done that and you have managed to start it come back to me and I will give you further instructions.

All the best

Leslie

Nov 3, 2017 4:26 AM in response to Lemas

200 times? OMG! Leslie you've got quite high patience level! I bet you meditate! Haha Jokes aside, thank you very much, I would give it a try and I'd try to remember to be patient (I have some serious patience problems haha).

I'm pretty sure he won't fix it, so I'm expecting him to give me a call within the next several hours to go pick it up, although I might not have time to try to fix it today. We'll see though. I'll post more when I have more information or when I've tried it out. Once again, thank you!

Nov 3, 2017 6:09 AM in response to Lemas

Yeah, that does sound like a lot of work. But the point is to save it. Honestly, 2012 model was very hard to find and I've upgraded its hard drive to SSD and the RAM to 16GB. I have it for like 90 days now or less. Previous owner said he had it for 4 years and didnt have any issues with it. It's a machine and they do break, but I'd do my best to make it turn on. Honestly, I loved that tiny box. It sits under my desk, not even visible and it's probably faster than my Macbook pro (which is late 2014 I think).

I always keep my computers up to date. So, the mini had all of the latest updates installed, same with my MBP.
-Dani

Nov 4, 2017 4:10 AM in response to Lemas

Leslie, I cannot thank you enough!!! I just got the mini back from the tech guy. He said he's clueless and it doesn't work (just like I've mentioned). It took me 5 min using what you said above to turn it back on! Luckily, it didn't take that long as it did for you, I literally tried twice and the second time it powered on! So, thank you very much! Without your help, I would have been on my way to tech guy #2 right now! Bless you! ๐Ÿ™‚

Nov 4, 2017 4:46 AM in response to LunarWalk

waaaawww...!! that is so great news.. Really so good news.. I am so, so happy to hear it.. I am jumping for joy..๐Ÿ™‚๐Ÿ™‚

I imagine that you found 6 fingers to the keys and button clicking ๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜.. that was the hard part.. ๐Ÿ˜ข

don forget.. do not power off.. do the security installation that I sent you. let it do its thing.. It will be fully stable after a few times of restarting..

Yes mine was a lot longer. It was so frustrating.. The problem was that I didn't know what the issue was so i was working "blind". I then started thinking it could be what in windows was called "bios" and researched and came to the conclusion that it was the EFI, the equivalent to what the bios is. Once I arrived to that conclusion I had to force the machine to start long enough for me to somehow try and change the EFI. I further discovered,after I managed to restart the computer, that the EFI that somehow was installed in my machine (mac mini i7 2.7ghz mid 2011) was in fact a i5. How could that be possible? I have never did that only installing updates from Apple. Go figure..!!

It was then the case of finding a EFI that was compatible and through the "apple communities" site there was a nice guy that sent me the initial one that made it a little better but not perfect. Later, one the same day, incredibly and by luck, a final one was updated by apple with the correct EFI (the same generic one that I sent you). I think my computer it is actually working better then it was new. It now flies..

I just wonder how many guys have thrown away their perfectly good machines ๐Ÿ˜Ÿ

Once again well done ..!!!

Warmest of regards and if we don't speak before Christmas "merry Christmas"

Nov 4, 2017 5:02 AM in response to Lemas

Wow, you did a lot of digging to figure it out! I honestly don't know much about hardware. If it's a software issue, I will most likely fix it myself. As for hardware, meh - I'm not great. But I'm good enough to open it up, change the RAM & upgrade the hard drive to SSD. Before now, I had no idea what EFI really was. I knew what Bios is, but I had no idea it's different for Mac.

Kudos to you for not giving up because let's face it, a lot of people would have given up. I mean, I dropped it to a tech guy who's suppose to know how to fix things, right? He does that for a living. And when I told him that instead of going to the guy he mentioned, I'd try something that someone (you) suggested, he looked at me and you can totally read "oh, good luck. I couldn't figured it out but someone random online told you something that you think it will help?! ha!" in his eyes. I made sure to give him a call when I fixed it with you help. His "NO WAY, IT TURNED ON???? HOW?" reaction was priceless ๐Ÿ˜‚

I'm installing the security update you mentioned above. Just to make sure it's all good.

Happy holidays to you too!!! ๐Ÿ˜‡

Mac mini wont turn on after power outage

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.